Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
azuziel
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: George Brossault

veeam 8.0 unable to SSH

Post by azuziel »

Hello,

I've been running veeam b&r 8.0 with latest update for a while now. I've seen others have issues with veeam and vcenter and seeing the message unable to ssh connection with any connection point. However, I'm seeing this with an Ubuntu 14.4 LTS Vm I brought up about a week ago. It's strange because SSH both internally and externally work just fine. particulars are openssh (latest and greatest) . apt-get install open-ssh server

All I've done, is used the default open ssh config (which only alllows ssh protocol 2, also for security). The only change I've made to the ssh configuration is not allowing root to login via ssh (for security obviously), however the backup job does contain the credentials for an admin user on the ubuntu install, and with the same password as the root password.

What I want, is to be able to backup the ubuntu vm with full FLR support as I intend to use it as a file server. Any thoughts on that? I havent' opened a case yet, as I'm hoping someone has an answer. A search of the forums turned up a similar issue for vcenter - fix included increasing SSH timeout, however that is already max (68 years, not timing out haha).

Az
Az

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand - Confucius
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: veeam 8.0 unable to SSH

Post by foggy »

George, while you're waiting for others to chime in, I'd still recommend to let support review your setup and log files.
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Re: veeam 8.0 unable to SSH

Post by stuartmacgreen » 1 person likes this post

Have a look at the C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\VeeamShell.log file in there you should see the attempted SSH connection and the timing of querying the vcenter to get the IP address of the VM it might be retrieving to use in the SSH connection.
(Check the beginning of your log to see level of logging and increase verbosity appropriately.)
Is Tools Running status on your VM.
Open PuTTY from the Backup Server... and logon to the Ubuntu server with the credentials you are using from the Manage Accounts dialog. Is there a delay there.

There are other things thereafter to consider.
To get more verbose info about SSH connectivty to the Ubuntu server logon to another linux box and issue 'ssh -v {user}@{ubuntu server}'

On the Ubuntu box check for any hosts.deny hosts.allow settings

Then of course if you get this working you require mlocate, tar, and gzip packages checked on the server. And the admin user account to be able to sudo.

Good luck