Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
nizuwizu
Novice
Liked: never

Restore VM using VMXNET3

Post by nizuwizu »

Hello,

I have read a few earlier posts regarding issues with using VMXNET3 and re-IP. We won't be using the failover replication component of B&R but will be using the backup.

I'm considering updating some of our Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 VMs from the default E1000 adapter to VMXNET3 but wanted to check there was no issues before doing this.

Can someone confirm if its necessary to apply the KB (https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2550978) or i will have issues when restoring any of these servers from backup using B&R v7? Or is this no longer an issue now on these later versions?

Our current VMware version is 5.1 U1 and won't be updated until later in the year.

Thanks for any help.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Restore VM using VMXNET3

Post by foggy »

Just in case you've missed this thread while searching for existing relevant posts.
nizuwizu
Novice

Post by nizuwizu »

Thanks for the response.

No i hadn't missed that thread and was one of the main reasons for the question. Everywhere else i found information regarding the VMXNET3 suggested that it was only a good thing apart from the VEEAM forums.

I assume this is still an issue then and i would have to apply the MS hotfix if i wanted to use the VMXNET3 adapter and use B&R for restoring any VMs? Is this still an issue with VMware 5.5/6?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

nizuwizu wrote:I assume this is still an issue then and i would have to apply the MS hotfix if i wanted to use the VMXNET3 adapter and use B&R for restoring any VMs?
Applying patches seems reasonable to me.
nizuwizu wrote:Is this still an issue with VMware 5.5/6?
At least both are listed in the KB describing the third mentioned issue.
nizuwizu
Novice

Post by nizuwizu »

Ok thanks for confirmation and patience !

Cheers