Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Petta
Lurker
Liked: never

Keeping a surebackup running

Post by Petta »

How should I make a surebackup running for like a week or so? When I have a surebackup running and the nightly backups start the surebackup is killed. Do I have to create the surebackup job from a backup that is created soley for the surebackup purpose?

Thanks

P
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Keeping a surebackup running

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Petta,

SureBackup is a verification job which could be scheduled to run on a predefined schedule or started manually, so for your case you can schedule sure backup to run after the needed backup job. Here is a reference to Help Center - Creating a SureBackup Job
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Dima, I understood it differently: Petta would like to keep a surebackup job running for many days after it's started. This is not possible in normal circumstances as the new execution of a backup job involving the same backup set will shut down the surebackup job. A workaround quoted in other threads is to copy the backup set, import it as a new backup and use it as a source for surebackup, so that this set will not be used by any incoming backup job.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Petta
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by Petta »

delloc6, you are absolutely correct in your interpretation of my question :) I was thinking that your solution might work but beeing on a tight timeframe (and before I read your answer) I just created a new backupjob with all the servers needed. Then I created the surebackup from that job. Is this way okay or is there anything I forgot to think of?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

No, it's ok. As long as the original job that you use to spin up the VMs is not executed, the virtual lab can be powered on as long as you need.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1