Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: qq

Fastscp

Post by 20100 »

Hi
Using VBR V8 enterprise with Vsphere Enterprise, no issues.

I need to restore one of our VM onto a separate standalone free ESXi (for development/testing purpose) but unsurprisingly it does not allow it because of the licensing.

Many years I used FastSCP for this but now it is part of VBR, I believe. However I am not quite sure where to find it to use it.
I also went to "files" and tried to copy/paste the VM directory but it failed as well.

Is there a way using Veeam tools to make a copy of a VM onto a free ESXi server while the source VM is running?

If not, I can always use the standard Vcenter copy/paste via my PC when the VM is turned off, but it would be good to do it without down time.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Fastscp

Post by veremin »

I also went to "files" and tried to copy/paste the VM directory but it failed as well.
Did that operation fail with licensing error? Or the root cause was different?
Enthusiast

Post by 20100 »

It fails with the following message: Current license of ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation
This is a similar error as the file copy to VM copy.
Somehow I am sure I could use the FastSCP many years ago (before we purchase Veeam B&R!) but now I cannot longer find where it is or/and how to use it if it is part of B&R
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Got it. I will double check this matter internally, and will update the topic, once I have more information. Thanks.
Enthusiast

Post by 20100 »

Hi

As a workaround I can always clone the VM on the infrastructure and then copy the shutdown cloned VM to the free ESXi.
That particular VM is only a few hundred of Gb, but it would be good to know if it was possible to copy directly for bigger VM.

Cheers
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Ok, I'm checking at the moment whether it's possible copy/paste files on free ESXi host, using Files node. Will provide an answer, when I get information. Thanks.