Business categorization for your virtual environment
MikeR
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Riley

Any fine tuning on custom attributes?

Post by MikeR »

Hi All,
quick question-after installing BV, it appears to want to push the 3 custom attributes to the entire VC and all VM's contained within it-I don't see a way to target only a specific folder or datacenter for instance. Can anyone advise if this is correct? Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Any fine tuning on custom attributes?

Post by Gostev »

Hello - correct, it can only be applied to the entire vCenter today. However, you can exclude some VMs from categorizations easily, so custom attributes will not appear on those. Also, automated categorization rules CAN target specific folder or datacenter.
MikeR
Lurker
Full Name: Mike Riley

Post by MikeR »

Thanks-can you advise on how one might exclude a given set of VMs?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Mike, exclusions are available directly from the Business View UI, you just pick VMs and exclude them from categorization.
mkracker
Novice
Full Name: Mike Kracker

Post by mkracker »

When will there be an option/Rule to auto-exclude a cluster or Folder? We have a dedicated cluster that has 100's of VMs, weekly, created/deleted that we do not wanted to be categorized. Right now it sounds like I would need to manually select 200 VMs to exclude them from categorization and then repeat that next week. Is that correct? Is there a way to script/automate this with PowerShell?

Mike K
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your feedback! But have you considered excuding this cluster while creating the rules? I mean you may apply the categorization pointing to specific objects in the virtual infrastructure and not choosing entire vCenter node.

Thanks!
mkracker
Novice
Full Name: Mike Kracker

Post by mkracker »

I have considered only creating rules based on a specfic cluster or folder. My problem is the Uncategorized group gets ballooned up by VMs that we don't care about. Many of these VMs get deleted, so I now have to manually cleanup BV and Monitor of all the deleted and uncategorized VMs. It wouldn't be as big a deal if I only had a few to manually change, but with 100's per day/week, it must be automated.

Also, how do I exclude a cluster when making a rule? I only see options to include DCs, folders, hosts and clusters. We have a few clusters and several individual hosts that I want to create rules on. If I cannot exclude one item, then I need to create six separate rules to accomodate the items that I want to create rules for.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Mike, your feature request is very valid. We will definitely need to work on exclusions to better address use cases like this. Especially in the light of automated recovery verification functionlality coming to Veeam Backup (which would produce similar situation to what you are facing today due to multiple temporary test VMs). So I can definitely see this feature coming in the next release. Thanks for your feedback!