Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

VNXe 3150 NFS Shares as Repository

Post by habibalby »

Hi All,
Been long time since I posted Question or help others for a solution/Problems.. My setup 1-Physical Server with 16 Cors 2.7 Ghz, and 16gig of Ram, 6 pNICs is connected to an iSCSI SAN repository. The Physical server act as Veeam Manager, Backup Server, Repository Server and sometimes as Proxy Server. I have two VMs each with 8 vCPUs and 8GB RAM configured as hotAdd Proxies.

I just freed my old 2014 VNXe and I'm thinking to use it as NFS Shares where and stop using iSCSI due to the fact I can't present more than 4 TB on Windows 2008, maybe there is a workaround I'm not interested to think about it. Where I know, the NFS is mapped directly to the Server as shares.

Is there any issues in using this method of repositories?
Is there any limitations when it comes to Veeam Functionality in conjunction with NFS being as Repositories?
Do you think stays with iSCSI but on better SAN i.e VNXe over IBM DS3512 an ideal approach?

Please share your experience, issues you face when you transitioned from iSCSI to NFS..

Regards,
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: VNXe 3150 NFS Shares as Repository

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Hussain,
the limit I see is that your all-in-one Veeam machine is Windows, and you cannot mount an NFS share on Windows, or better said you can but it has limits that makes it impossible to use (windows nfs client performances are horrible, and the mount happens in a user session and not in a system session).
I would either stay on iSCSI, or if you want to move to NFS, deploy a dedicated linux server mounting the nfs share; you can then use this machine as a linux repository in Veeam.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Hi Luca,
Thanks for your response, what about CIFS Shares that created directly on the SAN Storage and presented to Veeam, is there any issue using this methods of repositories?
The VNXe Storage has this capability and I'm thinking to utilize this option rather that adding complexity to it by adding extra layer of VM/Physical Linux Box to act as Repository.

Does the backup performance will be impacted..

Please share your experience.

Regards,
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 »

As Gostev wrote in this other thread (http://forums.veeam.com/vmware-vsphere- ... 28403.html) CIFS can have sometimes reliability problems due to the protocol itself, something we cannot catch. If possible, I'd stick with a machine where you can deploy our own datamover so the reliability of writes will be higher.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Thanks for your response Luca,
The issues I'm facing with iSCSI LUNs is the LUN size limitation max to 1.999 TB and my Backup is quite large. I expanded this LUN from another LUN presented in Windows to create larger space to hold my backup. I do have different LUNs working same way, and backup to tape using Symantec Backup Exec 2012.

Using Symantec to backup my Weekly/Monthly Veeam Backup Chain Job from different Drives/LUNs relatively slow and by nature backing up files on single job from different Drives/LUNs is prone to errors :)

The reason why I'm thinking of CIFS because I can create LUN size with full Storage Capacity and presented to the Server/Veeam Backup and configure all the jobs to write to this location. I think this idea will save me a hill of time while using Symantec Backup to move .vbk or .vibs files to tapes. Due to a single tape library with two drives, I'm seeing is quite difficult to have both Symantec and Veeam using the same drives to write date to tapes due to different systems interoperability :)

I'm also reading about Veeam and NFS and I can see some people have a problem when it comes to a Veeam Enterprise Server acting as NFS Repository :).. It seems the only solution to me is to have a Linux Server act as a NFS where Veeam will dump the backup files to it.. But again, using Symantec to read from NFS is another pain in the ***(Round Star)

I will try to figure out if I can just using Veeam Tape Backup to write the jobs from Disk/Directly into tapes by specifying which tapes/Slots are used for Symantec Backup and which tapes/Slots are used for Veeam Backup.. But if Symantec run inventory / Scan against the tapes while Veeam somehow writing or doming some activity that would create problem/issues.

I see it really a dilemma who wins over the other approach when it comes to data protection.

Any thoughts more than welcome.

Regards,
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 »

Got it.
Well, if the space for a single large backup is the biggest problem, I'd go for an NFS share kind of volume on the array, and mount it with a linux Veeam repository.
For the offload to tape, why not using directly Veeam and its tape capabilities instead of Symantec??
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Because I'm using the same tape drive to backup other systems which are not supported by Veeam.. Due to this reason, I'm afraid of the scanning on tapes by both systems on tapes and incase the tape already used by one of the systems it might corrupt the data on the tapes
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 »

Ok, I was fearing that was the limit...
Uhm, so sounds like indeed SMB share on the VNXe is the last option we are left with. I'd suggest to run surebackup at least on the most critical VMs to be sure there's no corruption on the SMB shares.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Hi Luca,
So, what I ended up doing the following;

1. 12.8 TB CIFS shares presented accessed by the Backup Server where Veeam Manager is installed.
2. CIFS is configured as a Shared Repository in Veeam Manager.
3. I moved the Backup Jobs from old LUNs to the new CIFS Shares and configured the correct jobs mapping.
4. Dell PowerVault 2000L has two backup Drives is presented into the same server.
5. I identified the tapes properly and I assigned the one which is used by Veeam Backup to Tape and disabled the other tape to be used by Symantec Backup Exec (To backup the legacy application.
6. In Symantec Backup Exec, I have disabled the tape which is used by Veeam.
7. In Symantec Backup Exec, I have created a Specific Backup Media Set and set the options as;
[*] Overwrite protection Period = None - Infinite - Don't allow overwrite
[*]Append Period = None - Infinite Allow Append
Tapes are used by Veeam Backup are associated to this Media Set to avoid Symantec Backup Exec using those tapes while Veeam is using them.
8. In Veeam Backup, Created two Media Pools;
[*]Daily
[*]Weekly
I associate some tapes to both Pools.
9. Configured Backup to Tapes Jobs from Backup (Backup Jobs dump it's files to CIFS Shares) and Backup Tapes runs against Backup Jobs. (am I doing it correctly here?).

Now the confusing part about tape backups (Daily as Incremental & Weekly as Full) I think Veeam still lacking of proper scheduling when it comes to backup to tape/Disk.

I'm using scripts to run my daily and weekly jobs and Active Full Veeam Backup is set as Friday again using different script to run on different timing. This is fine as the Windows Task Scheduler is taking care of the timing when the jobs are running.

[*]Regarding the Backup Jobs to tape, I'm trying to figure it out how the scheduling part can be handled specially since I'm backing up the jobs (Which again I have to make sure the job runs successfully.
[*]In Veeam Backup to Tape there is an option to select the Pool for Full Backup and Incremental Backup. For Full Backup I've selected Weekly Pool. For Incremental Backup, I have selected Daily Pool. The Full Backup Pool, has got a Schedule button to set when the job gonna run Full Backup. The Schedule at the end of the Backup to Tapes Job, what does it do? does it run the incremental as per the Schedule at the end of the Backup to Tape Job and at the same time this Schedule runs as well as Full Backup to tape?

Or do I have to use scripts with Windows Task Scheduler ?
Also, how can I ensure the Backup to Disk successfully completed and after that I run the Backup to Tape Jobs?

Any suggestion / recommendation to this approach, please share your view :D

Regards,
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Hussain,
Dell PowerVault 2000L has two backup Drives is presented into the same server.
5. I identified the tapes properly and I assigned the one which is used by Veeam Backup to Tape and disabled the other tape to be used by Symantec Backup Exec (To backup the legacy application.
From the top of my head Veeam B&R should lock the drive presented to any 3rd party software unless you use the library logical partitioning – on the library level partition the drives and slots and then preset it to backup applications.
The Full Backup Pool, has got a Schedule button to set when the job gonna run Full Backup. The Schedule at the end of the Backup to Tapes Job, what does it do? does it run the incremental as per the Schedule at the end of the Backup to Tape Job and at the same time this Schedule runs as well as Full Backup to tape?
Scheduling button under the full backup media pool is actually for scheduling the virtual full backup on tape which works only for forever incremental backup jobs and backup copy jobs. It does not apply to reversed incremental or forward incremental backup jobs with periodic fulls. Here are some mechanics from the help center if you need it: Virtual Full Backup
Or do I have to use scripts with Windows Task Scheduler ? Also, how can I ensure the Backup to Disk successfully completed and after that I run the Backup to Tape Jobs?[/
Scripting is supported, but most common approach is to use backup to tape scheduling option to start a tape job after backup once disk job is finished.
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Thanks for your reply, BTW I have tried run the Backup To Tape and selected after Backup Job. And I run the backup job manually, but upon completion of the Backup Job the Backup to Tape job didn't run.

Regards,
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

I have configured another three jobs;
Upon completion Backup to Disk using scripts.
Run Backup to Tap after ---- Selected the BackupToDisk Job....

I'm optimistic, lets see how it goes.

Regards,
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Hi,
Here what I have configured and the result of this configuration;

Critical VMs-3 runs successfully using Script configured using Windows Task Scheduler.

Critical VMs-3 -> Tape Scheduled to run upon Critical VMs-3 (BackupToDisk Job)
Result: Critical VMs-3 -> Tape didn't run at all.

JobToTape Schedule Configuration;

BTW, in the Weekly Full Media Pool, I configured the Schedule for full as Thursday.

am I missing additional steps?

Thanks,
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Support Case ID: 00940406

Hello, I thought of logging a support case with Veeam to verify the configuration as I found a bit of issues and my be support engineers can help with these issues;

I would like you to verify my backup configuration and suggest if the configuration / the way how I have approached this configuration is correct, or other recommendation I’m missing!!

Setup:
• Physical Dell Server R720 with 16gig memory and 2Pro Quad Cores 2.40GHz each.
• This physical server has 6 pNICs and being used for the following scenario;
o pNIC-0: connected to LAN/Production network.
o pNIC-1: connected to same Switch for LAN beside the vSphere network.
o pNIC-2: connected to different iSCSI Switch-1 where only my EMC AX-45i iSCSI SAN , EMC VNXe 3150 are connected.(This NIC is in the same subnet as SPA-eth0)
o pNIC-3 is connected to same iSCSI Network (Switch-2 where only my EMC AX-45i iSCSI SAN and EMC VNXe 3150 are connected.( This NIC is in the same subnet as SPB-eth0)
o pNIC-4 is connected to same iSCSI Network (Switch-1 where only my EMC AX-45i iSCSI SAN and EMC VNXe 3150 are connected.( This NIC is in the same subnet as SPA-eth0)
o pNIC-5 is connected to same iSCSI Network (Switch-2 where only my EMC AX-45i iSCSI SAN and EMC VNXe 3150 are connected.( This NIC is in the same subnet as SPB-eth0)
• Two proxy servers (VMs) are running 8gig and 8 vCPUs are on the same vSphere/Veeam/vCenter LAN.

• Veeam Backup Manager is installed on the same server and it act as a Backup Repository and Proxy Server.
• All LUNs are assigned to the Physical Server and presented to Veeam as Disks for Backup Repository.
• Tape Library is installed on the same server and sharing one drive for Veeam Backup to tape and other tape is dedicated for Symantec Backup for Legacy applications.

• Since I just configured CIFS repository using the VNXe 3150, I’m not going to discuss the iSCSI LUNs which are presented to the same Server.
• CIFS Shares is created in the VNXe 3150 12.8 TB and presented to the Physical Backup Server as Disk Repository in Veeam.
• All Veeam Backup to Disk jobs are configured to dump backup in CIFS Shares.
• Backup to Tape is configured against each Backup to Disk Job and backing up to tape for Full and Incremental.
• Two Media pools are created for Daily and Weekly and some tapes been allocated to it;
o Noticed if the Drive is busy and another job started, (while this job is waiting for the first backup to finish, upon the first backup finished, tapes are not reloaded automatically by Veeam). Insert a Valid Tape into the library, last written tape: 0000L5. Even though, tapes already available and ready to be used in the Weekly and Daily Pools.
o
o Cancelling the job and start it again, it doesn’t load the tape.
o I reconfigure the properties of the Media pool to be (Do not create, always continue using the media set. And job loads the tape.. (What does this means, is it gonna delete the contents on tape which has been used by another job upon require new data to be written on tape?)

• The Backup to Disk jobs are configured to run using scripts with the help of Windows Task Manager, two scripts runs one for Daily at different time and one for Weekly on different time considering the time it takes to finish each job.
• I have configured the Backup to Disk Tapes to backup the Backup Job and scheduled it to start after finishing the backup job. (This method didn’t start at all).
• Backup to tape speed I’m getting max 83MB/s min 43MB/s, but always on average of 71MB/s. (Is this fine or some tweaking around that to increase the speed?)
• Backup to Disk speed improved since I migrated from iSCSI LUNs to CIFS Shares, reaching from 60MB/s to 102MB/s.

Any suggestion, highly appreciated.

Regards,
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Morning,
Observation result of Backup To Tape of Veeam Backup Files and Backup to Tape of Veeam Backup To Disk Job on CIFS Share Directly presented to the Veeam Manager Server.
Noticed:
Backup To Tape of Veeam Backup Files:
If this job is configured, and selection on the Folder of the Veeam Backup To Disk directly selected, the entire contents backup chain of that folder is copied to Tape, with regards to the Pool Set as destination.

Backup Veeam Job to Tape:

If this job is conifgured and selection on the Veeam To Disk Backup Job is selected, and the Media Pool Set as Week Full (It runs on specific day as Full) and Daily Incremental, result is the Full Backup Files (.vbk) it goes to the Weekly Media Set because it's the full backup set, and (.vib) files of Incremental it goes to the Daily tapes Pool Set because its set as Daily Incremental.

Difference between both is with Veeam Backup Files to tape, is you can have the entire backup chain, .vbm, .vbk and subsequent .vib incremental backup. It adds flexibility in case of restoration to restore the entire director, import it into Veeam and have the entire Restore Point with you.

With Backup Veeam Job to Tape, you have to restore the .vbm, vbk, and Incremental files to have full chain. I think the configuration file is a must in order to have point of restore. Is this a lack of functionality, or it's by design?

Thanks,
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Hussain,
Two Media pools are created for Daily and Weekly and some tapes been allocated to it;
oNoticed if the Drive is busy and another job started, (while this job is waiting for the first backup to finish, upon the first backup finished, tapes are not reloaded automatically by Veeam). Insert a Valid Tape into the library, last written tape: 0000L5. Even though, tapes already available and ready to be used in the Weekly and Daily Pools.
And what was the option for media set creation you used before? I assumption is correct it was create media set for every backup session – which means when the first backup to tape runs it closes the current media set which makes existing tape no longer appendable. More details about the media set creation option here
Do not create, always continue using the media set
It means the tape job will continue to use existing tape media until its full. Once there is not free space left – tape job will pick another free tape media.
I have configured the Backup to Disk Tapes to backup the Backup Job and scheduled it to start after finishing the backup job. (This method didn’t start at all).
This one needs to be checked by support's team.
Backup to tape speed I’m getting max 83MB/s min 43MB/s, but always on average of 71MB/s.
Check if hardware compression is enabled in conjunction with Veeam compression. Disabling hardware compression can increase the performance a bit.
Backup To Tape of Veeam Backup Files:
If this job is configured, and selection on the Folder of the Veeam Backup To Disk directly selected, the entire contents backup chain of that folder is copied to Tape, with regards to the Pool Set as destination.
It's more likely the behavior of the File to tape job, isn't it? File to tape job knows nothing about the backups and backup jobs – it simply pulls all the new files inside the selected directory based on the modification date. All files during the full backup run and changed ones during the incremental run.
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Dima P. wrote:Hi Hussain, It's more likely the behavior of the File to tape job, isn't it? File to tape job knows nothing about the backups and backup jobs – it simply pulls all the new files inside the selected directory based on the modification date. All files during the full backup run and changed ones during the incremental run.
HI Dima,
Does this means, if I run the backup job again it will backup only the files that has been changed since last backup? In my scenario....

Backup Job configured to Disk and job configured to run every Friday Active Full Backup, and its configured to
Restore Points to Keep on Disk = 5
Remove Deleted VMs Data from Backup after 5 Days
Friday Full Backup - .vbk
Sunday Incremental - .vib
Monday Incremental - .vib
Tuesday Incremental - .vib
Wednesday Incremental - .vib
Thursday Incremental - .vib

On Thursday once the all jobs finished, I run Files to Tape Backup to copy the entire backup chain of 1 Week.
On Friday the Active Veeam Full starts, and it's added to the backup chain. (If I configured the Job (Files to Tape) as Incremental every Saturday, will it backup only the last file (.vbk Friday) file to the tape? or it's gonna adding all the contents again including the previous backup chain?

I'm asking this question because I can't see the file attributes is changing once the Files to Tape Job runs. (Don't you think at least this should change the File Attributes from Ready for Archive, to File already archived and UnCheck the CheckBox? So, if incremental job runs again it will take only the files which recently added and backup didn't run on them.

Regards,
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Okay,,, I have tried Files to Tape Incremental Job after my Active Full Backup and it picked up only the .vbm and .vbk file which is got.. I think Veeam should change the File Attributes as Files backed up and Uncheck Files is ready for Archiving .

So, my final configuration as follows;
1. Physical Backup Server.
2. Same server act as Storage Repository and Proxy.
3. Two separate Proxy (VMs with 8 gig and 8 vCPUs)
3. Same server connects to VNXe Shares using two pNICs (LACP)
4. VNXe CIFS shares presented to Veeam Backup.
5. Backup to Disk Jobs to CIFS Shares. (Friday Full Active Backup, Sun,Mon,Tue,Wed,Thu as Incremental Backup)
6. Keep Restore Points on Disk 5. (Which Results, every Wednesday the old Backup Chain removed by Veeam Job and Thursday last Incremental Backup)
7. Every Thursday after last backup job, Backup Files to Tape starts to backup the whole Backup Chain.
8. Since the Active Veeam Backup is scheduled as Friday, I run Incremental Backup Files to Tape Job to copy .vbm and latest .vbk file as of Yesterday (Friday).

Regards,