Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
jim7jim
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jimbo James

v8 VM backup straight to tape?

Post by jim7jim »

I apologize if this has been covered a million times before. I've been reading some of the user guide (pretty hefty tome) and did a search here but not finding the answer.

It looks like tape support for vm backup is only: source vm-->disk-->tape ? I have no storage available for backup right now which is why I was interested in going straight to tape. But I was hoping I could do a vm backup to tape and then incrementals to tape as well. Is this possible?

I do see where it looks like I might be able to copy source 'files' from a vm straight to tape? Am I understanding the possibilities correctly?

Thanks in advance.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: v8 VM backup straight to tape?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Patrick,

Backup to tapes can only performed via staging to disk first: source vm-->disk-->tape. Can you please tell me where do you store your backups now?

Thanks!
jim7jim
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jimbo James

Post by jim7jim »

I go straight to tape using ARCserve. I've had some issues with ARCserve backing up VMs so I was hoping to move to Veeam.

Would there be a simple way for me to test this with a USB disk for backup target? If I understand what I've read correctly, it seems like the vAppliance method would give me the best performance (no SAN here) but wouldn't I have to present backup target storage to the ESXi host? I understand I don't want to save the backup on the same VMFS volume where my VMs reside, but maybe if I'm then going to tape it's an option? Otherwise, could I set up a USB disk as a backup target? Is that easily done to a ESXi host?

This extends beyond the original question but I may need more help setting Veeam up in my environment. My environment is small. 2 hosts, 6 vms + vCenter appliance on host #1, 1 vm on host# 2. I'm thinking I could set up backup server, proxy on same vm but not sure what to do about backup repository.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jimbo,
Would there be a simple way for me to test this with a USB disk for backup target?
The simplest would be to add a Windows server in the VBR UI, attach a USB drive and then add a repository pointing location to this drive, but this is not the only option you have. In case you deside to us a USB drive as a repository, please, review the corresponding thread here: Veeam Backup & Removable Media (rotated drives)
maybe if I'm then going to tape it's an option?
Yes, you can either way use backup repository or existing backup to disk job as a target for backup to tape job, once the backup was created
the user guide (pretty hefty tome) and did a search here but not finding the answer.
Also there is a good online help center with the detailed description on tapes: Working with Tape Media
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If I were you, I would try to find any physical Windows based machine (probably, some decommissioned server), stuff it with that USB drive or other directly attached disks, and assign repository role on top of that. I would use it as primary repository for short retention, and tapes for long term one. Thanks.
chrismc
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Wyatt Prosser

Post by chrismc »

Has this feature been added yet, or is it still vm --> disk --> tape?
4c7
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: 4c74356b41

Post by 4c7 »

Nope. Still vm > disk > tape. Sad.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

May I ask you why do want to disregard disk level, complicating restore procedure and lowering the number of backup copies?
4c7
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: 4c74356b41

Post by 4c7 »

Well, this is quite obvious. I think most people cannot afford to store 2 copies of VM's (even if they are compressed). I have like 10 tb of VM's and compressed they take about 8 tb of space (we have lots of geodata that doesn't compress at all). We have 100+ tb of tape storage, I can backup everything like 2 times (to have 2 different copies as you like). Keep 1 month full and still have some free space on tapes. But I don't have another 10 tb of disk space (SURPRISE).

You can blame me for being poor, not much I can do about it. I'm not a CEO.