Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
oha
Novice
Liked: never

Is it possible to create a VeeamZip from existing backup?

Post by oha »

Is it possible to create an VeeamZip archive from an existing backup without restore before?

I have dynamic environment, 96% of all VM's are for testing and deployed in minutes via unattended script so there is only a really short retention time for these VM's.
However, It can happen a VM was customized for a special test and should go into a longer archive (e.g. VeeamZip/OVF) even it was already removed from vSphere.

Is there a way to create a VeemZip from an existing backup without restoring the VM again before?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Is it possible to create a VeeamZip from existing backup

Post by veremin »

Is there a way to create a VeemZip from an existing backup without restoring the VM again before?
Nope. However, you might want to check this workaround. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Probably instantly recovering the VM and performing VeeamZIP will be faster.
btkrausen
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bryan Krausen

[MERGED] Legal Holds

Post by btkrausen »

Is it possible within Veeam to set a particular job (date) to never expire within a backup chain?

For example, Legal dept comes to IT and requests that we keep all data that was backed up on Jun 15. The server was part of a job which has a 30 retention period. How do we ensure that the data never expires regardless of the configured 30 day retention period? Do we restore from that date and back it up with a non-scheduled separate job with a higher retention period?

Thanks.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Legal Holds

Post by PTide »

Hi Bryan,

I believe that Backup Copy Job with GFS retention policy is what you need. Using those you can setup your backups to be stored for years.

Please see the article.

Also there is another option:

1. Choose the desired restore point (June 15)
2. Instant VM restore
3. Perform Active Full Backup / VeeamZip of the recovered VM

UPDATE: Also please check this thread.

Thank you.
btkrausen
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bryan Krausen

Re: Legal Holds

Post by btkrausen »

Thanks for the response but GFS won't get me a specific date requested by Legal (assuming we're still within the valid retention period). GFS would get me back "far enough" by doing the weekly/monthly/yearly backups but wouldn't allow me to grab a very specific date required. We can attempt to plan ahead by using GFS but it wouldn't help us with jobs that were run in the past.

Sounds like the best option is what I mentioned in the original post, restore the data, using instant or other restore type, and do another backup of the data using another job with a higher retention period.

It would be nice to create a VeeamZip job by browsing the restore points and selecting VMs like that. Feature Request? :)
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Bryan, your topic has been merged with another one, please see post #2
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

All solutions provided so far seem just too complex. Honestly, I personally would just use Restore VM Files option to dump all the VM files from the required restore points to some other storage.