Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
aaron@ARB
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: ARBCorporationPtyLtd

Best way to hide/remove/delete tapes that are in vault

Post by aaron@ARB »

Veeam,

I have tapes that i am only ever going to use once (month end tapes) At the moment I have 6 tapes a month for this purpose. When I remove them from the Dell TL2k library I move them to a veeam vault. But what I was told by support (they tested it) was that if i remove them from the media pool they were backed up in, the tape is also deleted from the vault. So, if that is true.. what is the best way to hide these tapes? I dont really want to keep seeing these tapes as i will likely never have to mount them again, It just clogs things up. I hate to say it, but th way that Backup Exc manages its tapes i quite liked. it would keep the catalogs hidden and it would only show the tapes that you had loaded into the autoloader at any given time. You could go into the set and see the tapes it has if you really wanted but for the most part, the offline ones were hiden... a much simpler and cleaner approach i found.

TIA
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Best way to hide/remove/delete tapes that are in vault

Post by Dima P. »

How about sorting the media in the pool by location? Offline tapes could be just displayed at the end of the list :wink:
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

Yea that is true but they are still shown, it's still cluttered, I'm looking for a way to just have the whole tape display just show the tapes I have loaded and where they sit.

For the most part I don't care about tapes I don't have loaded. If I load them then you can display them in their respective location.

Cheers, aaron
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Point taken and counted as a feature request (a good valid feature request). Thanks.
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

Hi dima,

Is there a good place for feature requests as I am new to veeam and I often think 'that would be great if it did....'
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Since it's posted here at the forums we start counting it as an official feature request. More requests – bigger the possibility it’s going to be included in the next releases :wink:
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

I have been giving this some thought, a simple way to implement this without spending a lot of development time would be just to have an option to hide the offline tapes from the views. Veeam knows that they are offline already based on the icon so all it would need to do is just not place the line into the listbox / datagrid (or whatever control is used)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Aaron,

It sounds easy indeed, but never knows what could stand behind a simple label or checkbox in terms of development and testing unless you start development and testing.