Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

Disable metadata caching?

Post by averylarry »

The new caching feature is killing my servers. I've doubled the ram and tripled the paging file and I still run out of memory, which locks up my server.

Can it be disabled?
averylarry
Veteran

Re: Disable metadata caching?

Post by averylarry »

I think the metadata gets read into memory when the job starts instead of when the job is actually processing. I have a lot of jobs but they sit in a pending state until proxy resources are available. If I'm right about when the memory is consumed, I would probably not have so many problems if the metadata was cached only when the job is actively processing instead of sitting in a pending state.

Also -- is it possible that the same metadata is being cached multiple times? I have multiple replication jobs that use the same source backup job.

Just thinking out loud through my keyboard.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Yes, you can disable the cache. From a "Word from Gostev" several weeks ago:
You can simply disable the cache with the AgentReadOnlyCache (DWORD) = 0 registry value.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Ted, you're talking about regular backup jobs, right?

Generally, metadata should be placed in cache on opening restore point, right prior to actual data processing. However, there's probably some place for improvement, I would appreciate if you could open a case and let our engineers analyze how resource scheduling works in your particular case. Could be due to some specifics of your environment.
averylarry
Veteran

Post by averylarry »

I'll try the agentreadonlycache reg setting. For others reading this it is (I believe) to be added to HKLM\Software\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication

I have 11 backup jobs and 17 replication jobs. The replication jobs are all scheduled to start after their corresponding backup job since they use the backup job as the source. I regularly have a dozen jobs running, but only a couple of them will be concurrently active (not in a pending state) due to proxy/repository set limits.

Everything uses the optimized for WAN block size because my WAN speed is my bottleneck.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, all VB&R registry keys should go to the standard HKLM\SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam Backup and Replication hive.

Also, we'd appreciate if you open a ticket regarding the experienced behaviour just so we're sure nothing unexpected is happening.

Thanks.
averylarry
Veteran

Post by averylarry » 1 person likes this post

Case # 00954403
averylarry
Veteran

Post by averylarry »

And I didn't have any problems last night after using the reg entry.