Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
patrickeasters
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Hyper-V Replica failing with SMB3 destination

Post by patrickeasters »

I am working on setting up Hyper-V replication between a 2012 host (source) and 2012 R2 host (dest). The source is part of a cluster and the destination is standalone. I can get the job to work correctly when the job's destination is using a local disk. But when I try to use an SMB3 share on a NetApp cluster, the job fails saying: ("Failed to import a virtual machine.") Error code: 32769

Doing some Googling, it appears that error code means ACCESS DENIED. I've confirmed the account Veeam is connecting with has permissions to that share as well as admin rights on the Hyper-V host itself. Is there anything special with SMB3 that I'm missing? The docs say to make sure the destination host can reach the SMB share, which it can. I even RDP'd into the dest host with the Veeam user account and was able to access the share and manually import the VM XML file into Hyper-V.

Any thoughts guys? Thanks!

Veeam B&R 8.0 update 2b
Case ID: 00962970
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Hyper-V Replica failing with SMB3 destination

Post by foggy »

There's indeed something special with SMB coming in with remote Hyper-V management. Here's how you can enable constrained delegation for SMB3 in Windows Server 2012 R2.
patrickeasters
Influencer

Post by patrickeasters » 1 person likes this post

Thanks so much, foggy. I enabled delegation of the NetApp SVM by the Hyper-V host and it worked like a charm.

Just curious--is this in the Veeam documentation anywhere? I was looking through the replication portion and though it covered SMB3, I didn't see any mention of the need for SMB delegation authorization. If it's not, I may submit some feedback to the docs team.

Thanks again!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Actually, I've already e-mailed documentation team regarding that, right after answering here, since I also was not able to find any mention of this in the user guide. Anyway, thanks for the feedback!
patrickeasters
Influencer

Post by patrickeasters »

foggy wrote:Actually, I've already e-mailed documentation team regarding that, right after answering here, since I also was not able to find any mention of this in the user guide. Anyway, thanks for the feedback!
Perfect. Thanks again man. You guys are quick!