Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
RyanJ
Veeam Software
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Ryan J

SQL Log Shipping - Temp Files Not Clearing

Post by RyanJ »

When using the dedicated log shipping server option, the server I specify constantly runs out of space on it's C: drive due to Veeam storing large .bak files in the C:\Windows\Temp directory. I know this directory can be changed via registry, but the location is not the issue. It seems that these temp files don't clear and continuously fill up the drive. Currently that folder has hundreds of obscurely named folders, 3/4 of which are empty but the others are taking up almost 200GB of space.

Now, I'm not sure of the design of the SQL Log Shipping and support has yet to be able to confirm how Veeam determines when to clear the files out or how long to keep them for. We do have quite a few sql servers using this as its Log Shipping server so it may very well be just that it requires that much space, that just seems unlikely though. Can anyone explain how the back-end functionality of the Log Shipping server is supposed to work?

My Support Case ID is 00917281 [ ref:_00D30RWR._50032pY5nk:ref ]
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: SQL Log Shipping - Temp Files Not Clearing

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Ryan,
I believe once transaction log backup is transferred from temporary location on the source to the target repository it must be removed from the source, so if the described behaviour is true it needs to be carefully investigated.
RyanJ
Veeam Software

Post by RyanJ »

Hi Dima,

That's what I was assuming was supposed to happen as well, however they seem to be sticking around for about a week or so after the fact. I can't find out why and support is having a hard time figuring it out and trying to escalate it to the dev's. It still seems to be sitting right around 70GB free of the 300, but I still think that may be a little too large for 6 jobs doing log shipping.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Ryan,
I've asked QA team directly to pay attention to your case - either I follow up thru this thread or you will receive a response thru support team. Cheers!

Edit: DEV team is involved too.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Ryan,
While we are still investigating – can you please clarify if the transaction log temp files that persist on the server are being successfully transferred to the backup repository? Thanks in advance.
RyanJ
Veeam Software

Post by RyanJ »

Sorry for not providing an update here, but yes they are being transferred. We were actually able to get the issue resolved yesterday. The issue was the permissions on the C:\Windows\Temp folder didn't have full rights to the Local System and the Veeam Data Mover service runs using Local System. As soon as we modified permissions to allow SYSTEM full control of the folder, the backups files were able to clear and my free space is back to around 280GB where it should be. I assume I also could have changed the account the service uses to the local administrator and it probably would have worked as well.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Ryan,
I am glad you nailed it! We have requested permission issues to be properly noted in the application debus logs in order to be quickly identified and resolved by our support team. Thank you.