Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
evander
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

How will Backup change affect Copy job?

Post by evander »

Hi all - I have run into a problem with my daily backups with the "..File system Limitation. Failed to write data to file.." error which I believe based on the KB is due to the partition needing to be formatted with /L switch etc.
I thought I had done that when I setup this repository but so be it.

Here is my question: To fix I need to copy files off and reformat the drive. I cant do this as I don't have space to copy the files onto. I therefore need to delete this backup job's files completely and start again. Its not the complete end of the world as I only have 1 weeks of restore points in this repository and I am running a copy job from this backup job to another location.
So my question is, if I start the backup job from scratch, it will naturally do a full backup first run, how will that affect my existing copy job though? Will the copy job still only copy the changes or, since its essentially a whole new set of backup files, do a full copy of the full backup day 1 file?

Personally I think it will still only copy the changes but would like to make sure.

Thanks.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: How will Backup change affect Copy job?

Post by PTide »

Hi,
it will naturally do a full backup first run, how will that affect my existing copy job though?
No, it will grab the latest changes since last RP and create a new RP on the backup-copy site. So the copy job will still only copy the changes.

Thank you.
evander
Enthusiast

Post by evander »

Thanks PTide - that's what I thought too.

So I will right-click and "Remove from Disk" all the files related to that backup, let the back run as per normal tonight, which will generate a full backup run and then the Copy job will just pick up where it left off and continue as normal.

Thanks for the help.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

evander wrote:...let the back run as per normal tonight...
You'd better run active full after deleting backups and re-formatting the drive or specify the ForceCreateMissingVBK registry key. Otherwise, the backup job will fail due to not locating previous backups.
evander
Enthusiast

Post by evander »

Hi Foggy, thanks for the heads-up but they way I deleted the existing backups was (following the help files) to go to Backups > Disk > Remove from Disk
Only after doing this did I re-format the drive.

My understanding is that deleting the files this way would tell Veeam that those backups no longer exist and therefore the next backup would be a brand new back chain. It seems to have worked too as it ran perfectly last night. So too did my copy jobs :)

Let me know if you think I should make any additional changes or fixes based on the above.

cheers,
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Correct, if using Remove from Disk, everything should wok smoothly, like it did in your case. Sorry for confusion.
evander
Enthusiast

Post by evander »

No problem, thanks for the assistance as always :)