Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ChrisStarmer
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Starmer

Backup Copy timing logic

Post by ChrisStarmer »

I have been using Backup Copies for a couple of years but I cannot get my head round the timing settings.

I have a big VM which I want taken off site using backup copies. The backup for this VM runs at 07:45 every morning and can take 4-5 hours.

My questions are :-

1) What time do I set the "copy every starting at" time on the backup copy
2) How often should I set the "copy every" to ?

I am struggling to understand the login of the "copy every" setting. A copy interval of 1 day rather than meaning "copy every 1 day" seems to mean "copy only backups created in the last day". I'm not interested when the backup was copied, I just want the latest backup point replicated - I always just want that.

I have just changed the backup copy from a 2 day "copy every" to 1 day (it was 2 day to make sure the backup copy captured the latest backup and actually did something). It's 15:00 now so a backup was done at 07:45 - 11:00 this morning. The backup copy is sitting there saying "Waiting for next copy interval" when I know it has not copied this mornings backup. A "sync now" has started the backup copy.

So I guess I want the system to do a backup and then immediately start copying the backup via the backup copy job and not to stop until it's finished. How do I get the system to do that ?

Thanks in advance.....
ChrisStarmer
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Starmer

Re: Backup Copy timing logic

Post by ChrisStarmer »

Should say "I am struggling to understand the logic of the "copy every" setting."
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Backup Copy timing logic

Post by PTide »

Hi,
So I guess I want the system to do a backup and then immediately start copying the backup via the backup copy job and not to stop until it's finished. How do I get the system to do that ?
Just set the backup copy to start 5-10 minutes prior to backup job once a day and point it to the desired VM. In this case backup copy job will have a 24 hours sync.interval. At the start of a new synchronization interval copy job checks for new restore points on the source repo and copies them, if any. If several RPs have appeared since last synchronization only one combined RP will be created by copy job, containing all changes since last copied RP. For details please see this article.

Please let me know if any questions persist.

Thank you.