Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jluce
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: John Luce

Corrupt C Drive but can't bring system down

Post by jluce »

The C: drive on a server of ours has an issue where it will boot and run however it will not move past a certain point in Veeam. The C: drive has what looks to be a physical defect.

However it was being backed up in Veeam without issues prior to about a week back. There is also a week old replica that exists on different storage. The folks in management would like us to pull the back up of the C: drive and attempt to combine it with a copy of the two other drives (both data drives) that we have begun backing up in Veeam. However I can not restore to the original or replica according to management due to business limitations.

So how would I best add the C: (275 GB) drive to the D:(800 GB) and E: (100 GB) Drives. I thought about restoring the D and E drives to a VM on a new datastore and then restore the C: to it, and vice versa restore the original VM to a new datastore and add the D and E datastores since that data contained one those drive is more up to date.

The end point is that we need to get to a working VM over the week-end. Has anyone got a suggest how to best perform this restore?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Corrupt C Drive but can't bring system down

Post by foggy »

John, both your suggestions are possible, as well as failing over to the working replica and replacing the data disks on it. Though, could you please elaborate on the original issue - what do you mean it will not move past a certain point in Veeam? Does the backup job get stuck at some point for a long time? This is not by itself an evidence of disk corruption. Do you see any related messages in the job session/Event Viewer/vSphere Client? Have you contacted support with this?
jluce
Enthusiast

Post by jluce »

The error we get consistently is identical this this one with the except of the time, and date. The server name has been obscured:

(5/29/2015 4:50:31 PM :: Processing XXXXXXXX.XXX.XXX Error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
Failed to read data from the file [\\.\PhysicalDrive1].
Failed to upload disk.
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.
Exception from server: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
Failed to read data from the file [\\.\PhysicalDrive1].
Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [112911].
Failed to download disk.

Nothing is seen on the VMware side out side of the failure. This all started after a ESXi host locked up hard due to a SAN issue. We stated not being able to perform backups afterwards of this sole VM. Veeam reaches the same block on C: and everything begins to error.
I have contacted support about this, and afterwards we went back and forth for a bit. The final suggestion was to try the backup in network mode, however management due to the network design and latency this would induce vetoed that suggestion. So this came back to me to attempt to put this thing back together piecemeal if possible.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

jluce wrote:This all started after a ESXi host locked up hard due to a SAN issue. We stated not being able to perform backups afterwards of this sole VM. Veeam reaches the same block on C: and everything begins to error.
Looks more like a storage issue to me, not VM itself. Have you tried to clone the VM?
jluce
Enthusiast

Post by jluce » 2 people like this post

IT turned out that there was an issue with the storage that didn't initially show itself. Once we recovered the VM and moved it to new storage then everything worked.