Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
namiko78
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Steven Stirling

Cloud repository with dedupe?

Post by namiko78 »

Does anyone know if any cloud connect service providers offer deduping services? Ideally in Canada? We have monthly full requirements and I was hoping to use dedupe so we're not paying for 15+ TB of extra backups each month.

Thanks
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Re: Cloud repository with dedupe?

Post by tdewin »

The difficulty for a service provider is, what happens if you send your data in an encrypted way? Encryption makes it so that duplicates blocks will look different in time and don't look like duplicates anymore. Since we are talking about cloud, most customers chose to encrypt their backups so it makes little sense for them to implement dedup storage "in the cloud"

But I'm sure there are cloud providers out there that could leverage your request, the question is if you thrust them with your data in an unencrypted state?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Cloud repository with dedupe?

Post by dellock6 »

I see the answer in a different way: providers will probably never tell you if there's a dedupe appliance in the back, but as long as the price per GB to store your backups is ok for your budget, do you really care? Assuming noone will ever give you a discount for the space savings that could happen at the provider side, unless you are talking about a huge deal where you can agree for a one-off price with the provider.
Anyway, you can try to check with cloud connect providers in Canada: http://www.veeam.com/find-a-veeam-cloud-provider.html
I see there are many there.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1