Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
andyboat
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andy Boat

Prevent Shutdown / Restart whilst backing up

Post by andyboat »

It would be great to have a feature in this software which prevents shutdown of the computer until the backup is completed. I just hit restart as I forgot a backup was ongoing (transform actually). The good thing is that Veeam seems to pick up where it left off on the transform after rebooting my machine well!! But this would be an excellent feature - perhaps a tick box in the 'Settings' tab and if someone attempts to shutdown the computer, the Veeam Endpoint Backup windows could be maximised and brought to the front with a reminder message 'Backup in progress. Please stop the backup manually or wait for completion before shutting down your computer'
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Prevent Shutdown / Restart whilst backing up

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your feature request. On a side note, do you use this setting in your backup job > Shutdown computer when backup is completed?

Thanks!
andyboat
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andy Boat

Post by andyboat »

Not personally, but I can see this could be useful for some of our user community if they run this out of hours and would like to save their own power at home :-)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, this was suggested as a workaround for this use case - just never shutdown your PC and let VEB do it.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

andyboat,

The only problem is that OS shutdown/restart operations are controlled by OS itself and postponing these may be threated badly by antivirus/malware scanning software as such actions are below MS software development security recommendation. Aside from that – Good request - thank you! Will see what we can do about it.