Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
matthydras
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Hydras

vCenter Server SSO and Entreprise Manager

Post by matthydras »

Hello all

I want to deploy Entreprise Manager on my Vmware infrastructure.
Actually, I have vCenter with vmware domain authentification (example vsphere.local) or locally to the vCenter windows OS Server but without Active Directory.
I want to create end user accounts on the Entreprise Manager WebUI for manage their specific virtual machines.

I have see on the doc (http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/e ... roles.html // http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/e ... scope.html) that the only way to create account for specific virtual machines and specific roles is to have an Active Directory.

Did someone install and configure Entreprise Manager for doing what I want but without Active Directory

Thanks at all for your help

Best Regards

Matt
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: vCenter Server SSO and Entreprise Manager

Post by foggy »

Matt, actually, Active Directory is not required to achieve what you're after. You can use local accounts as well to assign roles to them, just specify them in a "machine\account" format. Thanks.
matthydras
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Hydras

Re: vCenter Server SSO and Entreprise Manager

Post by matthydras »

Hello foggy

You're true.

But in my case, I want to create a single user for vSphere Access and Entreprise Manager with restore VM options.
I have successfully done this configuration.

For doing that, I have configure a AD user.
This AD user MUST BE added to the local administrator group on the Entreprise Manager server. This is mandatory because we will used this AD user for started the Entreprise Manager service.
After we install the Entreprise Manager service and specify on the credentials the Active Directory domain \ AD user and the password.

After the installation, we can connect on the GUI using the Active Directory domain\Administrator login or WORKGROUP\Administrator login.
Finally we can create roles on configuration pages and specify VM ONLY IF the licence key is VBR Enterprise Plus.

I hope this step-by-step can help other.

@all,
Ask me if you have any questions.

Have a nice day

Matt