Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
bdoe
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Bryan

Archiving data with file to tape jobs

Post by bdoe »

We have several file servers with 20TB shares each. Each is dedicated to a specific project (or a portion of a project), so we don't like to just move things to another one. Our users generally manage this until they get to a good point - usually, when data has been delivered and is no longer required for the project. Obviously, data involved in creating a delivery isn't going to be deleted, so historically we have copied it to tape and removed it from servers. In the past, we used Bacula, and I just kept a job defined named "Manual". When I needed to do this, I would change the server/directory the job managed, and run it twice (I always use two sets of tapes). Then separately I kept a list of jobs from Bacula, and we could then locate what they needed if someone needed a file. This wasn't perfect, since I couldn't search for a single file, but once we loaded the job it was manageable.

My question is, what's the best way to do something similar in Veeam? I recently ran a 4TB file to tape to LTO-6 media. The tapes involved are in a separate media pool, and have been marked as protected with retention set to "never overwrite". However, I named the job after what it was backing up, since I wasn't sure how to handle it at the time. Does that job need to remain in Jobs forever, listed with my weekly/monthly backup to tape jobs? Can I use a single job and change the files each time? And how should I best handle finding data? We are using Essentials Enterprise.

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Archiving data with file to tape jobs

Post by Dima P. »

Hey Bryan,
This wasn't perfect, since I couldn't search for a single file, but once we loaded the job it was manageable.
Good use for Veeam B&R file catalogue on tapes: you can use a VBR console to browse the files that resides on tapes. Additionally, you can browse every tape and see the exact contents.
My question is, what's the best way to do something similar in Veeam?
You can set a manual file to tape job that backs up needed scope of file from a file share. That’s might be a bit slow due backing up over network but still valid soption.
Does that job need to remain in Jobs forever, listed with my weekly/monthly backup to tape jobs?
If the only goal is to perform a manual backup of files as explained - feel free to delete the file to tape job once its completed.
Can I use a single job and change the files each time?
Yup.
And how should I best handle finding data?
By going to tape properties > Files

or thru VBR console > Files

bdoe
Enthusiast

Post by bdoe »

Dima P. wrote:You can set a manual file to tape job that backs up needed scope of file from a file share. That’s might be a bit slow due backing up over network but still valid soption.
Fortunately, I'm using 10GbE, so the job was able to run as fast as the autoloader would do, around 150MB/s. Still a lot slower than disk backups but doable.
Dima P. wrote:If the only goal is to perform a manual backup of files as explained - feel free to delete the file to tape job once its completed.
Can I use a single job and change the files each time?
Yup.
Those are both great to hear. This is the first time we've done this with Veeam, but in Bacula we had around 40 archive jobs; not a terribly huge number, but I'm very glad I don't have to have old jobs that'll never happen again listed.

As far as finding data, the Files console looks great and much quicker than I'm used to. I knew about viewing the files on the tape itself but Veeam always takes a moment to load that data. Either approach is good though. A followup question on that though - say in three months I need to take another active full file to tape of the same directory from the same file server. Since everything in it would have been deleted, how will Veeam handle that in the files view? Would I see two directories, or would it just merge everything?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

You are welcome :)
Since everything in it would have been deleted, how will Veeam handle that in the files view? Would I see two directories, or would it just merge everything?
Have not tested it personally but I believe if the file remains under the same folder you will see additional restore point available. Take a look at the screenshot above – there is a specific column next to the file size.
bdoe
Enthusiast

Post by bdoe »

So there is, great. With the way things are organized, it probably wouldn't happen anyway, and I could always go to the tape view instead. Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Sounds good! If other questions arise, don't hesitate asking :wink: