Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
chjones
Expert
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Chris Jones

Assigning Licences to Hosts?

Post by chjones »

We have over thirty Enterprise Plus Licences currently in use and assigned to a number of hosts. A new project has come along that requires the VMs to be backed up from their dedicated ESXi host. The VMs will be residing on storage that is separated from our production storage and we cannot use SAN mode to backup. For this project, Veeam Standard licences will be sufficient.

Since all backups will be managed from the existing Veeam Backup Server we will need to merge the licences to create a single licence file and apply to the Veeam Server. When I do this, I have a few questions:

1. Can a merged licence file be created with different licence versions?
2. Will assigning a new licence file remove all current licence assignments and force licences to be auto-assigned to hosts during the next backup?
3. Is there a way to force a specific host to be assigned the standard licence and leave the others to use the Enterprise Plus licences?

I don't want to end up with the standard licence assigned to a host that should be Enterprise Plus as we heavily rely on Storage Integration for our backups.

I am hoping I don't need to create another Veeam Backup Server that I use for the Standard Backups, but that's what I'm thinking I may need to do. If this is the case I could see myself ending up with three Veeam Servers, one for each type of licence.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Assigning Licences to Hosts?

Post by Gostev »

1. No, you cannot merge different license edition into the single file.
2. It should, but I never tested this process myself. Worst case, licenses are super easy to revoke from all hosts manually.
3. No (as mixing different license editions in the same B&R installation is not possible).

Basically, completely separate B&R installation is the only way to go here. We don't allow mixing licenses edition in the same installation, as this opens an opportunity to use all Enterprise Plus functionality on backups created with Standard edition license. All you'd need to achieve that is a single Enterprise Plus socket licensed ;)
chjones
Expert
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Chris Jones

Re: Assigning Licences to Hosts?

Post by chjones »

Hi Anton,

Thanks for the quick response. It makes sense why you can't mix licence types. A second B&R Server it is :idea:

Thanks again!