Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
chauk2
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: chauk2

Not backup to tape device but backup repositories

Post by chauk2 »

Hi all,

I have set up a tape server and connected with a tape device (12 Tapes with 2.4TB each). I followed the new set up tape server procedure and seems everything is all right.
Then I ran a "backup to tape job" on one of the tape and it said "success" and I can see the file size transferred (~20GB).

And the problem was the tape's still showed 2.4TB free and when I checked "Files > Tape", I saw my backup repositories is under "tape" but not my tape device IP? I believed the backup is only pointed to the repositories but my tape device.

Could anyone help on this?

Thanks very much.
Kenfi
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Not backup to tape device but backup repositories

Post by veremin »

And the problem was the tape's still showed 2.4TB free
We receive information regarding tape free space directly from a tape device, so, can you try to re-inventory/catalogue a given media or rescan a tape server and see whether the correct value will be reflected?
and when I checked "Files > Tape", I saw my backup repositories is under "tape" but not my tape device IP
That's not a problem. This view just shows you files that have been copied to tapes with the use of files to tape jobs. It preserves the actual tree for the sake of convenience. If you go there, right-click on a needed file -> Properties, you should see tapes archived file resides on.

Thanks.
chauk2
Novice

Post by chauk2 »

Hi Eremin,

pt1. Unfortunately, tried re-inventory/catalogue or rescan the tape server, the free space is still not updated from time to time.

pt2. Thanks. That's clear my confusion on the tape usage..
chauk2
Novice

Post by chauk2 »

Hi Eremin,

Problem solved. Thanks for your advise.
chauk2
Novice

Post by chauk2 »

chauk2 wrote:Hi Eremin,

Sorry Eremin, I have another questions:

After the tape job is done, is it ok to delete the original backup files in disk (i.e. in the root backup repository) to release space & also the backup job? Will it affect the restore from tape because there is no any reference of the backups anymore?

Thanks again.

Kenfi
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

After the tape job is done, is it ok to delete the original backup files in disk (i.e. in the root backup repository) to release space & also the backup job? Will it affect the restore from tape because there is no any reference of the backups anymore?
That won't affect tape restoration. Though, you'd better let job retention clear our old backup files in automatic fashion, instead of removing them manually, thus, confusing backup console.
I'm wondering what solution was.

Thanks.
chauk2
Novice

Post by chauk2 »

I'm wondering what solution was.
- It just refreshed finally after a period of time
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Seems like the device reported a proper value for us after some time. Anyway, in order to be sure that your backups are indeed present on tapes you might want use Veeam ONE Tape Backups report. Thanks.