Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Saad
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Saad

Veeam Replication question

Post by Saad »

Hello
i noticed that the first step of a veeam replication job on a vm creates a full vm copy to the destination hosts & storage , then it creates snapshots based on how many restore points the job is set to.
does it at some point commit snapshots & changes to the full vm copy ? so the full vm copy wont outdated and snapshot sizes wont get bigger, or this can be done through a manual process ?

thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam Replication question

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Saad,
Replication process is described here.
Could you describe your use case? Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Each replica restore point is a separate regular VM snapshot. Snapshots do not grow, since the repica VM is always off, and are not committed to the base disk (otherwise you would not be able to restore to the corresponding restore point) until being removed according to retention (that is where commit occurs).
Saad
Novice

Post by Saad »

Hello Foggy

correct me if i am wrong
so i have a vm that is being replicated with one restore point retention policy
the next time replication job runs , it will commit that restore point to base vmdks then removes that restore point , and then creates a new restore point snapshot , and it keeps going ...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Slightly different. It will first create a new restore point. Once it's created successfully, the previous one will be committed to the base disk.

Though, I recommend increasing retention policy a bit just to have some other restore point besides the latest one. Just think about source VM hitting some virus and then being replicated with this state to DR site.

Thanks.
Saad
Novice

Post by Saad »

Great thank you v.Eremin this is the info i was looking for
the one restore point retention is just a test to see how much space / bandwidth and what kind of impact it will do on production environment .. which apparently seems very minimal