Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Urgently recovering space

Post by marius roma »

A Veeam B&R 7.0 uses a network share to save backup files.
For some reasons the available space in the share got very limited now.
I urgently need to recover space in the share.
I changed the settings of many jobs from Incremental to Reversed Incremental, reduced the number of restore points, and removed the option to create full backups, but I still see lots of old full backup files wasting a lot of space.
What is the best strategy to reduce the amount of used space without deleting the jobs?
Regards
Marius
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Urgently recovering space

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Marius,
marius roma wrote:but I still see lots of old full backup files wasting a lot of space.
Could you clarify what kind of backups are there?

Do you have hardware deduplication on the target? If no, you can increase inline compression and deduplication.

You can also generate a Veeam ONE report to find if there are VMs backed up by multiple jobs. Thanks!
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Post by marius roma »

Thank you for your message and your support.
Shestakov wrote:Could you clarify what kind of backups are there.?
It's not easy to say, because the kind of backup were changed in the time, mainly from Incremental to Reversed Incremental. This is part of the problem.
Shestakov wrote:Do you have hardware deduplication on the target? If no, you can increase inline compression and deduplication.?
What setting should I change?

Anyway, the best solution I could image is yust telling B&R to: create a single full backup file (Reversed Incremental) and delete *all* the existing full backup files if they are older than the maximum number of Restore Points I want to keep.
I attempted several settings with no success...
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

marius roma wrote:It's not easy to say, because the kind of backup were changed in the time, mainly from Incremental to Reversed Incremental. This is part of the problem.
If you`ve just changed the settings, you need to wait why new restore points appear and older ones delete by retention.
marius roma wrote:What setting should I change?
It`s in the advanced job settings > Storage Settings.
Thanks!