Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mmonroe
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Monroe

Deduplication

Post by mmonroe »

I am testing with the latest version of Veeam Endpoint. The doc explains that it offers both compression and deduplication. I am testing with the deduplication part and things are not working as I would expect them to.

Let me explain...

I backed up the workstation and created the full VBK which was about 10gig. I then ran a couple of incremental backups and each VIB was small at around 100meg. Things are working as expected up to this point.

I then coped the exact same 3gig file to the C-drive in the same path of C:\Temp and gave each a unique name. The next incremental should only create a VIB that is about 3gig in size since the 2nd and 3rd copy are the same and will be deduplicated.

I ran the backup and the VIB was 9gig and the backup console showed 9gig as being backed up. Clearly the VIB and the three files were not deduplicated. On our dedup SAN and whatnot, we would only see 3gig of space used for the three files.

How is the dedup supposed to work in the EndPoint product. Many thanks in advance..
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: Deduplication

Post by Gostev »

Most likely, these files all ended up at different boundaries, not aligned at 1MB... these are large constant block size dedupe implications. For example, our WAN Accelerators would be able to find and dedupe that data (albeit at the cost of significant processing overhead).