Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
scott.edwards
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Scott Edwards

Cannot access share on separate VLAN

Post by scott.edwards »

I am testing Veeam Endpoint on my laptop. I have setup a share on the Veeam server and can browse the share via Windows Explorer. When I try to connect through Veeam Endpoint I get an alert "Access Denied. Failed to create or open file". I have full access both via share and NTFS permissions. The Veeam server is on a different VLAN than my laptop. When I use the browse button within Veeam Endpoint it can only see the machines available on my local VLAN. If I use alternate credentials to connect to the share (domain admin member) I get bad username/password combo. Is this a limitation of the product where you cannot backup to a different VLAN?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Cannot access share on separate VLAN

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Scott,

There is no such limitation – its sounds more likely as a routing or firewall issue. Can you check that nothing is preventing recovery appliance from accessing the share?
scott.edwards
Influencer

Post by scott.edwards »

Maybe I did not complete the install correctly. I only installed Veeam Endpoint on my laptop. What is the recovery appliance you are mentioning? As I stated originally I can access the share via Windows Explorer on the laptop without issue it is only when trying to connect through Veeam Endpoint. I don't see where a firewall rule would be in play here but I disabled it on both local machine and remote server with share and still get the same messages.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

My bad, thanks for clarification. So to sum up – you have VEB installed on your laptop and you are setting a backup to the file share on a separate VLAN. The credentials used to authenticate are domain admin and has a full access permission to the shared folder. Is that correct?
scott.edwards
Influencer

Post by scott.edwards »

That is correct and I have used other domain admin credentials to connect to the share and added Everyone share permission with Read access. I'll try opening up the share via NTFS permissions as well but I don't like that for a long term solution.. I will update this tomorrow.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Let us know how it goes. Thanks!
scott.edwards
Influencer

Post by scott.edwards »

The only way I was able to get this to work was to provide "everyone" Full Access on the share permissions. I tried with my user account, domain users but it was only successful with everyone. I did not have to modify NTFS permissions and everyone is not listed under the security tab. I am not sure why that would be the case but it is working however I am not a big fan of having the share available to everyone.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Scott,

Glad you nailed it and thanks for the heads up! I assume if “allow everyone” works – then it something with the permission/teaming or domain relationships. By the way: check if you can add local computer account where endpoint is installed to the share folder permissions. That’s might do the trick.
scott.edwards
Influencer

Post by scott.edwards »

Removing Everyone and adding the machine account works. Didn't even think of that so I appreciate the suggestion.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

You are welcome. This is a good way to set up a dedicated access for every endpoint to a single file share (you can use dedicated subfolders for every endpoint machine – this would ensure end user has access to only his personal backup)