Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
fr4ctur3d
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff Suclla

Auto Clear of Backup Files

Post by fr4ctur3d »

So I have my backup configuration to keep the last 14 days of backups. Currently VEB has 2 months worth of backups (currently 22 .vib files). Isn't this supposed to prune itself automatically? Any suggestions on how to get this feature to work correctly? Thanks in advance.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Auto Clear of Backup Files

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jeff,

No other configuration other than you've already made is required. Can you please tell me what is your destination target and whether all these sessions/restore points (22) were successful?

Thanks!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Jeff,

To add to Vitaliy, VEB keeps 14 days of successful backups. This means not 14 days in the classical way of thinking but effectively 14 days. As an example. Imagine that you have 7 days as a setting, and your computer succeeded in backing up Mo to Fri. At that point you have 5 days. Then you skip the weekend (computer off or whatever reason). On Mo and Tue you backup again. At that point you have 7 days although there are 9 days passed. Only on Wed pruning will start.

On top of that, if you (for whatever reason and based on your settings) take 2 backups a day, you will see 14 recovery points because it is about the days, not the amount of recovery points.

Makes sense?

Mike
fr4ctur3d
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff Suclla

Post by fr4ctur3d »

Thanks for the response gents. Destination target is an eSATA external drive, once a day, every night @ 7pm. In fairness, I've had other problems so only half of the restore points have been truly 'successful'. Maybe that's the issue - with 22 different files, I'm way over the 14 day definition of backups, that's why I was wondering. I'm technically two backups away from pruning, I guess I'll see what happens this week...
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

every night @ 7pm
So daily scheduled backup is the only option and you are not using the backup events, right? You can ensue one restore point is created on a daily basis by using Backup not more often than safety trigger set to 24 hours (or one day).
cloggy
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dick Hoogendoorn

Post by cloggy »

To force a clean up you can temporarily lower the number in Restore Points (if you can live with a reduced number of restore points).
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

True. Next time backup process will start it will merge the oldest restore points into full backup (so if you want to force the process you can manually start the incremental backup)