Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sdsohotech
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Scharton

CBT data invalid on some VMs after upgrade to vSphere 6

Post by sdsohotech »

Here's my experience with the vmware 6 CBT bug so far:

We upgraded from ESX/vcenter5.5 to 6.0 in early October because my client got a new 6.0 upgrade license from Essentials Plus to Standard. Other than having to manually embed the HP b320i drivers into a custom ISO, it went well enough (drivers were not an issue on the 5.5 HP ISO).

It seemed like the backups were working OK after the upgrade. I would have noticed a 7 hour incremental vs a 15 minute incremental. In early November we set up a cluster and HA in vcenter (it was a simple datacenter setup before). After the cluster setup, I started getting CBT data is invalid on 4 VMs every time the backup ran. I tried running fulls and manually clearing out the CBT data. Sometimes it would fix the issue for a couple days on those VMs, and sometimes not. The issue would keep happening on those 4 VMs (out of 13 VMs).

Last night I downgraded the 3 hosts to 5.5, and left vcenter at 6.0. Reconfigured Veeam and the backup jobs. The new active full just finished a little while ago and I ran an incremental. There was 1 VM that had CBT data invalid, and it was the Veeam VM that I converted P2V at the same time we set up the cluster, so who knows what the root cause is exactly. I am going to remove the Veeam VM from the backup set and run a few more incrementals to see what happens. I'm pretty cranky about it because it's totally screwing up the backup window and the offsite copy job.
sdsohotech
Novice

Re: CBT data invalid on some VMs after upgrade to vSphere 6

Post by sdsohotech »

I removed the Veeam VM from the main backup job and ran an incremental 3 times and CBT seems OK (for now at least). I will continue to monitor and see if the CBT issue returns. The Veeam VM is now set up on a separate job that only runs once a week, an active full, and CBT disabled.

I already have an open case with Veeam support for this, but nobody really knows what to do at this point.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Jason, I've split your posts from the original topic since the issue your are dealing with is completely unrelated to the one that is being discussed there. Thanks!
sdsohotech
Novice

Post by sdsohotech »

Got it. Thanks!