Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
WinstonWolf
Veteran
Liked: 11 times

Tell Endpoint to use the 10Gbit LAN

Post by WinstonWolf »

Hello ,

I have the following Problem :

I want to Backup an physical Server with Endpont Backup to an Repository over my Veeam Backup & Replication Proxy .
The Veeam Backup Proxy is connected via an 10Gbit ISCSI to an Netap FAS .
In my physical Server which should be backed up i inserted also an 10Gbit Network Adapter .
The physical Server comunicate with the Rest of the Network via the 1Gbit Adapter .
I give the 10Gbit Adapter an IP in the Range of the 10Gbit Adapter of the Veeam Backup Proxy .

Now i want that the Veeam Endpoint Backup use the 10 Gbit Adapter for Backup to the Veeam Backup Proxy .

How can i realize this ?

In short, my feature request the feature request is:

An option in Veeam Endpoint Backup will be ( like in Backup and Replication Proxy Server Settings ) that i can say which Network Adapter will do the Backup .

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Feature request: tell Endpoint to use the 10Gbit LAN

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Without logs or error messages I can only make some assumptions on what's gone wrong in your setup.
The physical Server comunicate with the Rest of the Network via the 1Gbit Adapter .
I give the 10Gbit Adapter an IP in the Range of the 10Gbit Adapter of the Veeam Backup Proxy .
How are your VBR and proxy connected? Is it "Rest of the Network" network or is it the same network which your proxy's 10Gb adapter belongs to?

Thank you.
WinstonWolf
Veteran

Post by WinstonWolf »

Both ,

The Veeam Backup Proxy has also an 1 Gbit Network Adapter for the Internal LAN , but he Backups on the ISCSI Drives which was LUNS over the 10Gbit Adapter to the Netap Storage .

My Physical Server has also the 1 Gbit Adapter to talk with internal LAN , but also an 10 Gbit Adapter which is connected over an 10 Gbit Swith with the Veeam Backup Proxy .

As you can See on the Picture , Veeam uses the 1 Gbit Adapter instead the 10Gbit .

PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

My Physical Server has also the 1 Gbit Adapter to talk with internal LAN , but also an 10 Gbit Adapter which is connected over an 10 Gbit Swith with the Veeam Backup Proxy .
Let's say your 10Gb is 10.x network, and your 1Gb is 172.x network.

You need to make sure that your VBR contacts proxy via 10.x IP. Which IP did you use when you were adding proxy to VBR console?
WinstonWolf
Veteran

Post by WinstonWolf »

The internal DNS Name of the VBR Server .

But the 10 Gbit Switch has no connection to the internal LAN . It is a special Backup LAN .
On this Switch only are the VBR Server the Netap and now the Physical Server with the 10Gbit Card .
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

The internal DNS Name of the VBR Server .
I meant the IP of the proxy. Which IP did you type in when you choose "Add backup proxy" in VBR console?

Here is what happens when you backup your physical machine via VBR:

1. Endpoint prompts VBR for a data mover (proxy)

2. VBR provides Endpoint with proxy's IP address

3. Endpoint tells Windows to establish a connection with proxy's IP via specific port

So the idea is that VBR needs to contact proxy by IP that is assigned to 10Gb interface if you want your Endpoint to contact proxy via 10Gb.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Pasha, your posts are super confusing because backup proxies are not involved in VEB to VBR backup process at all :) backup goes direct from VEB to a backup repository, so the latter needs to be registered using DNS name that resolves to a 10Gb network.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

WinstonWolf,

Check if the VBR's repository is a CIFS you might need to select a proper gateway server with access to the same 10Gb network and you are good to go.
WinstonWolf
Veteran

Post by WinstonWolf »

Hello Again

My Veeam Backup & Replication repositorys are Local ( ISCSI ) Drives which was connected over the Mircrosoft ISCSI Initiator wit the ISCSI Luns on an Netap FS2554 .

The Veeam Backup & Replication Server ha an 1 GB and an 10GB Network Card build in .
The 1 GB Card has the IP from the Internal Network . The 10 GB Network Card has the IP 192.168.111.11
The ISCSI IP from the Netap Storage is the 192.168.111.10
Both , the Veeam Backup & Replication Server and the Netap FAS are connected via an 10 GB Switch .

The "Archive" Server has Veeam Endpoint Backup installed .
He has also an 1 GB Network Adapter with the IP of the internal Network .
He has also build in an 10Gbit Network Adapter with the IP : 192.168.111.22
The Veeam Endpoint Backup Server is in the Backup Job over the 192.168.111.11 ( IP from the 10 Gbit Network Adapter in the Veeam Backup & Replication Server ) with the Backup & Replication Server connected.
In the TCP/IP Settings from the Veeam Endpoint Server i give the 10 GBit Adapter the Interface Metrik 1 and the 1Gbit Adapter the Interface Metrik 100 .

But it also dont work .
WinstonWolf
Veteran

Post by WinstonWolf »

Hello ?

No new Tipps ?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Sorry, just to make sure I correctly understand your setup - does your Backup server also hold the role of backup repository?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

WinstonWolf,

Indeed, the main question is how your iSCSI target is set as repository? Also try to disconnect VEB machine from the management network and see how it goes.
WinstonWolf
Veteran

Post by WinstonWolf »

Yes , the Backup Server is also the Repository Server .

We create ISCSI Luns on the Netapp FAS and via ISCSI Connector we create Harddisks on the Veeam Backup Server , this Harddisks are the Repositorys.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

WinstonWolf,

Thanks, so iSCSI target is mounted to the VBR server and then VBR is set up as a regualt windows repository with a folder that resides on this iSCSI lun, right? Have you tried to disabled the 1GB management network between VBR and Endpoint just for testing?
WinstonWolf
Veteran

Post by WinstonWolf »

Hello again ,

Its not possible because over the Internal 1 Gibt Network there are Outlook pst Files connected to this Server . And the 10 Gbit Switch has no network Connection to the Internal 1Gbit Network .
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

I was asking to perform a temporary test to check your internal routing is working properly and if it does - you could use the VBR’s global throttling option.
WinstonWolf
Veteran

Re: Feature request: tell Endpoint to use the 10Gbit

Post by WinstonWolf » 1 person likes this post

PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!

The Trick was to set the 10Gbit Network Adapter on the Veeam Backup and Replication Server ( Repository Server ) under Metric to 1 .

Now when Veeam Endpoint Backup connects to the Veeam Backup & Replication Server it uses the 10Gbit Connection .

Thanks to all .

Michael