Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
samuk
Expert
Liked: never
Full Name: Sam

Urgent Linux Backup Question

Post by samuk »

I need to backup a Ubuntu server using Veeam. It does not support VSS, should i use the "Enable Vmware Tools quiescence" option or is it not required?

This is what i get from help:
Select the Enable VMware tools quiescence check box if you are performing the backup job for running virtual machines, and want it to be performed correctly.

though does not seem right as i was told not to use this option with any Windows VM's and to use VSS instead.

Thought i would ask as i do not want to corrupt the machine.

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Re: Urgent Linux Backup Question

Post by Gostev »

Hello, the information in help is correct. You should use the "Enable VMware Tools quiescence" option with Linux VMs, as they do not support Microsoft VSS. If you have some databases or transactional application running on this Linux server, you may want to leverage application-specific prefreeze/postthaw scripts (search forum for these for more info). Thanks!
samuk
Expert
Liked: never
Full Name: Sam

Re: Urgent Linux Backup Question

Post by samuk »

Gostev wrote:Hello, the information in help is correct. You should use the "Enable VMware Tools quiescence" option with Linux VMs, as they do not support Microsoft VSS. If you have some databases or transactional application running on this Linux server, you may want to leverage application-specific prefreeze/postthaw scripts (search forum for these for more info). Thanks!
Thanks for the conformation..

Sam