Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
monstermania
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dirk Klatt

B2T fails but Veeam 8 shows job success

Post by monstermania »

Hi,
today I've noticed the following big issue:
Every month we uses the last/first weekend tape backup for long time backup into an external safe.
Our weekend B2T job is about 3.5TB of data. Therefore we need 3 tapes to store the data (LTO5).
I've looking for the B2T job for last weekend and Veeam Shows everything fine and the job succesful. But after i looked into the report i've seen that the job hast used only 2 tapes for the B2T job! This is pysically not possible! :shock:

After that i've looking for the B2T history. And there are some more of this in the last weeks and months!
Sometimes B2T uses only 2 tapes for the job but everytime Veeam reports these job's as sucessful!
I'm very shocked of this!

Has everybody the same issue or knows the problem!?

regards
Dirk

We use Veeam 8.0.0.2084 and a Quantum Superloader 3 with LTO5
monstermania
Enthusiast

Re: B2T fails but Veeam 8 shows job success

Post by monstermania »

Here some additions for my above post.
We use 'File to Tape Backup' for our B2T Jobs!
Every night we make B2D by Veeam. On next day the B2D will be Backup2Tape by 'File to Tape Backup-Option'. We have Veeam B&R Standard license.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

What backup mode do you use (forward, reverse?) Have you tried to restore backup from tape yet? Also have you configured your F2T to run fulls automatically?

Thank you.
monstermania
Enthusiast

Post by monstermania »

I've now seen that the issue also exist into our daily 'File to Tape' Jobs. Our daily File to Tape Jobs has around 2.5TB of data and uses 2 LTO5 tapes!
Here some screenshots that show the issue...
Here you can see, that veeam reprts the 'File to Tape'-Job as succesfull (daily B2T job):

Here you see a screenshot of the media pool with the tapes of the above job. Veeam Shows that both tapes have the same sequence no and tape 353L5 has a free capacity of 1.3TB! :shock:
This is impossible! Normaly there have to be sequence no. 1 and 2 and on tape 2 has to be a free space from app. 350GB!

Here an Screenshot of an older B2T from November. Everything runs fine this B2T job.
If the B2T Job runs without issue the media pool shows like this (weekly B2T job):
Here you can see, that there are the sequence no is 1,2 and 3! And also the free space on the tapes shown correct!

All our 'File to Tape' Jobs are full backup jobs. We don't use incremental for 'File to Tape' jobs. Our 2 B2T jobs run automaticly (Tu-Sa -> B2T daily, So -> B2T weekly)
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Kindly open a case with support team and post your case ID here.

Thank you.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Dirk,

Right click on the said media and go to tape properties – it should how the files that reside inside the tape media. Also a good place to check what was placed to tape is a File catalogue in the left VBR’s menu.
monstermania
Enthusiast

Post by monstermania »

Me again,
after a reboot on Mo 4th the 'F2T'-Jobs Mo - Th works finde.
Last Fr. i've got the same problem.
Tape 2 contains only 100MB of data and veaam Shows the job as successful!

I've opened a case by veeam today. Case No. # 01367040

regards
Dirk