Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Scott

Veeam Offsite Copy - Incredibly slow

Post by mscott »

Newbie to Veeam.
I'm running Veeam Backup and Relication 8.0.0.2084
My Local backups work great.
The Offsite Copy job is another story. I have WAN Accelerators at both ends and I bumped the streams from the default of 5 to 10, that seemed to help a tad.

My copy job has 19 machines in it totally around 6.5 TB.

I had my offsite storage onsite, ran the copy job to it, took about 12 hours to run. Moved my storage offsite and mapped the copy to it

now it take over 48 hours to process my largest VM (Exchange) 1.4 TB.

My Local backups the compression is set to extreme and the offsite copy is set to dedeupe-friendly.
All backups are using Incremental.

My remote site has a connection speed of around 30 Mbps, so not using the WAN accelerators is sort of out.

I've spoken to support a few times about this and they can't seem to give me an answer besides it's working the way it's suppose to. which doesn't seem right to me. From what I've been told the old product that was retired just as I was hired in was moving stuff offsite at least once every 24 hours.

Working on a couple of different theories right now.
1. Wondering if my offsite storage wasn't seeded correctly. I've noticed the job is creating fingerprints, and then reads the hard disk. As I'm type this the job is reading an 800 GB hard drive, 8.3 GB read at 70MB/s and it's been working on that for about 1.5 hours.

2. Will compression affect the the transfer speed, Support seemed to hint that since my jobs are compressed, i don't need compression on the copy job.

3. Working on getting rid of the VPN tunnel that I'm currently using and going direct to my offsite location using a WAN link.

Other notes
Current stats on the job
Duration: 71 hours
Processing rate: 12MB/s
Bottle Neck: Source WAN
Processed: 674.3 GB
Read: 307.4 GB
Transferred 49.1 GB
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: Veeam Offsite Copy - Incredibly slow

Post by Gostev »

mscott wrote:I've spoken to support a few times about this and they can't seem to give me an answer besides it's working the way it's suppose to.
Hi, what was the support case ID for this? Thanks.
mscott
Novice

Post by mscott »

ID# 01220508
mscott
Novice

Post by mscott »

Well my copy interval window expired, It's now merging oldest restore point into the full backup file. Currently at 24% at 3.5 hours.