Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
$username
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Gary Busey

Disable tape access in Veeam?

Post by $username »

So we have a unique situation where we have both Veeam and Backup Exec needing to use the same HP MSL 2048 but on separate times.

I am finding though that Veeam keeps trying to access the tape library even when the remote tape access service is stopped.

Is there a way to disable the access during specific times so it doesn't interfere with Backup Exec during it's run time?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Disable tape access in Veeam?

Post by nielsengelen »

Did you try disabling the "Veeam Tape Access Service" ? This prevents Veeam from connecting to the tape server.

Also if I may ask what is the reason you are still using Backup Exec? Are there things which you lack in our solution?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
$username
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Gary Busey

Re: Disable tape access in Veeam?

Post by $username »

So on the VBP (Where we have the MSL connected) there is "Remote Tape Access Service" which as I mentioned in the OP is stopped but I keep getting emails that the "Tape server connections state has changed" from Resolved to Error and back and forth every 45 minutes.

As for why we're using it, nothing that is lacking in your solution, rather a limitation due to vSphere 5.0, we are running an older version of Exchange and also have a file server that is over 2TB, so between having issues with the VM sandbox and the Exchange backups and not being able to snapshot vmdks larger than 2TB we need to use in guest backup agents for the time being.

This will all go away in the next few months as we upgrade to 5.5