Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Fatih
Service Provider
Liked: never

Veeam Backup & IBM TMS integration

Post by Fatih »

Hi,

Is there any simple way to integrate IBM TSM with Veeam Backup ? Lets say that you start VM backup from Veeam Backup and when the job is finished let it initiate an TSM backup job to tape ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam Backup & IBM TMS integration

Post by Gostev »

Hello, such integration is very simple to achieve, and we have an integration guide available for TSM 6.x. From your email address I am guessing that you are our partner - you can download this white paper from Veeam ProPartner portal, under Technical Whitepapers section.Thanks!
Fatih
Service Provider

Post by Fatih »

Thankyou Gostev,

I found the pdf , I was lazy ..I should have checked that before !

You are right ,actually that was easy..I totally missed the "Post job activity"..

Thanks again!
Mightydok
Lurker
Full Name: Mightydok

Post by Mightydok »

Gostev wrote:Hello, such integration is very simple to achieve, and we have an integration guide available for TSM 6.x. From your email address I am guessing that you are our partner - you can download this white paper from Veeam ProPartner portal, under Technical Whitepapers section.Thanks!
Wheere i can download this Technical Whitepaper?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello, if you're not a Veeam Partner, please contact your sales rep or support, and request this whitepaper.
RML
Influencer

Post by RML »

We are just implementing TSM and will have a mixture of TSM and Veeam backups. We are backing up a number of VM's with Veeam, but have a need to get the Veeam backups to tape using TSM. How do we get the Windows 2003 server running TSM to see the Veeam data files that are on a LUN of our FC SAN? Our Veeam server is a VM, while the TSM server is a physical server.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Have you considered sharing a folder containing your backups on Veeam Backup VM?
RML
Influencer

Post by RML »

I know this is probably dumb, but our Veeam server only sees the backup data storage (on our SAN) through Veeam B&R. If I look at My Computer I don't see the backup storage pool.
RML
Influencer

Post by RML »

So, we don't know how to create a share for this so other servers can see it.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

RML wrote:If I look at My Computer I don't see the backup storage pool.
How exactly do you have your backup destination configured? Are you backing up to another VMFS LUN by any chance?
RML
Influencer

Post by RML »

Yes. Here is the destination for one of the backup jobs: /vmfs/volumes/Backups_2
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I know nothing about IBM TMS, but I am pretty sure that just like all other backup tools it cannot look inside VMFS LUNS, as VMFS is closed file system. So unless IBM TSM supports backing up files from remote Linux server through some agent (ESX is basically Linux machine), then you won't be able to have it pick up backup files from there.

Consider backing up to other destinations - for example, to NTFS formatted LUN connected directly to Veeam Backup server, or any other some location that you can either share as CIFS share, or connect directly to IBM TMS server.
RML
Influencer

Post by RML »

We originally set up our destination as an NTFS LUN. My admin that set Veeam up says the backup performance is much better using vmfs. Is that typical?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No, in fact it should be quite opposite. The way you have it setup now, all backup data is pumped through the ESX service console. While with NTFS LUN connected to Veeam Backup server, writes are direct to SAN. This is actually one of the most common configurations to backup to NTFS LUN directly attached to Veeam Backup server (for customers backing up from SAN1 to SAN2). Almost a reference architecture for proper way of doing LAN-free VMware backups...

I recommend that you chase your SAN vendor if there is bad I/O performance with NTFS LUN (some troubleshooting and tweaks to Windows server may be required, like the one mentioned here for instance).
RML
Influencer

Post by RML »

Thanks for your responses Gostev. I'll have my admin do some more testing. His earlier testing may have been done with non-optimal settings. Our SAN is an IBM XIV. It does use SATA drives, but is very high performance. I'm almost certain that it would not be the problem.
RML
Influencer

Re: Veeam Backup & IBM TSM integration

Post by RML »

We have set up an NTFS LUN on our SAN. Windows disk management plugin sees the drive, but when the backup runs it fails over to Network Mode. We have around 15 Veeam backup jobs with a VMFS destination that run in SAN mode just fine on this same Veeam server. The Veeam server is a VM with 4 CPU's and 4GB memory. We can't figure out why this backup to an NTFS drive won't run in SAN mode. This is why we used VMFS to start with. We seem to remember that support told us to do this early on because our Veeam server is a VM. I'm sure that we will be able to use TSM to push the Veeam backups to tape if we can figure out how to use an NTFS destination. Should have also noted that the Veeam server is Windows 2003 64 bit.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Actually, failover to network mode is something completely unrelated to the choice of target storage. With Veeam Backup setup in a VM, you should be able to successfully use both SAN mode (direct SAN access) via software iSCSI initiator, as well as Virtual Appliance mode (SAN access via ESX I/O stack) - no matter of target storage used.
RML
Influencer

Post by RML »

Sorry, I changed the Subject of my last post to change TMS to TSM. This is a repost of my prior post with the uncorrected subject: We have set up an NTFS LUN on our SAN. Windows disk management plugin sees the drive, but when the backup runs it fails over to Network Mode. We have around 15 Veeam backup jobs with a VMFS destination that run in SAN mode just fine on this same Veeam server. The Veeam server is a VM with 4 CPU's and 4GB memory. We can't figure out why this backup to an NTFS drive won't run in SAN mode. This is why we used VMFS to start with. We seem to remember that support told us to do this early on because our Veeam server is a VM. I'm sure that we will be able to use TSM to push the Veeam backups to tape if we can figure out how to use an NTFS destination. Should have also noted that the Veeam server is Windows 2003 64 bit.
RML
Influencer

Post by RML »

There is another post about poor SAN performance. Probably failing over to Network mode. The SAN in that post was a fiber channel SAN. Ours is also fiber channel. Could there be a connection? Even though my backups to VMFS destination run SAN mode just fine with good performance.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You cannot access FC SAN from virtual Veeam Backup server, as connecting into FC SAN fabric requires physical HBA. Your best bet with virtual Veeam Backup server is using Virtual Appliance. Alternatively, you should use physical Veeam Backup server connected into the SAN fabric via HBA.
RML
Influencer

Post by RML »

We'll try VA mode. Does it make sense that since we created the NTFS volume and tried to incorrectly run a backup yesterday using SAN mode that our normal backups running to the VMFS destinations started to fail, and the Veeam server crashed this morning? These backups had been running flawlessly. We since have removed the NTFS volume and are rerunning the failed backups and they seem to be running fine. Hopefully the failure was caused by running the test backup incorrectly, not the fact that there was an NTFS volume attached to the server.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Correct, NTFS volume would not affect this.