Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Morgenstern72
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Joachim

Azure as copy job location

Post by Morgenstern72 »

I want to use our Azure cloud storage as a copy job location.
Is there any easier way than to deploy a Backup Server in the cloud? I do not need any other functionality, just a storage connection to use the disk space in the cloud for monthly and yearly backups. But for Azure I only have an storage account key, no DNS.
Morgenstern72
Enthusiast

Re: Azure as copy job location

Post by Morgenstern72 »

I have found a nice article, but now just can't find out what a VCP license is and if this has to be acquired from veeam or Azure (we have veeam Enterprise Plus)
https://msandbu.wordpress.com/2014/11/1 ... lkthrough/
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Joachim,

There is no way to skip backup server creation. To send backups to Azure, you will need to either provision a Cloud Connect backup server (become a Veeam Cloud and Service Provider) and use cloud gateways for data transfer, or find any exiting service provider that offers this as an option. I believe the second option would be preferable for you.

Thanks!
Morgenstern72
Enthusiast

Post by Morgenstern72 »

Hi Vitaliy

the VCP program mentions "No cost. No paperwork. No reason to delay!". Why would I not prefer this to put my data in my own cloud storage to either pay a VCP to do the same?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Cloud Connect currently is only available for VCSPs, if you would like to use Azure yourself, then I believe you will need to setup a Windows VM to deploy a backup repository and then secure network channel via VPN (for example). This would allow you to send backups offsite too.
Morgenstern72
Enthusiast

Post by Morgenstern72 »

Oh...that's quite sad to hear :(
Well I will look into the alternative method. Would you either use your scenario or do the copy job to some location where we upload the backups with scripts to the cloud on our own and then delete the copy jobs on premise?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Depends on how much data you would like to send to the cloud and what type of management you want to have. There is an existing topic with some information on this > Veeam Backup to Azure.

If you have an Azure VM, then installing Veeam backup repository should be a better approach, as you will be able to control retention, download backup files without 3rd party tools.
v33@m3r
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mr Veeam McVeeamerson

Post by v33@m3r »

Would I be right in saying that you used to be able to use veeam to send backups up to azure storage? (without having a VM deployed on the service provider side)
It looks like this used to be possible - see link below:
https://www.insidetechnologies.eu/en/bl ... ows-azure/

if it was possible, is there any plan to re-introduce this functionality?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

v33@m3r wrote:Would I be right in saying that you used to be able to use veeam to send backups up to azure storage?
It was possible via CloudBerry software which had some restrictions on the file sizes to transfer.
v33@m3r wrote:if it was possible, is there any plan to re-introduce this functionality?
Currently, we have Cloud Connect that allows to send backups to any cloud storage, but as you've stated you need to install this in the cloud VM. Here is a related topic with the same question > Veeam Backup to Azure