Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kinto
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: kinto

How to backup with a V-Lab running

Post by kinto »

Hello, I'm testing the V-Lab functionalties and I'm very confused on this point: if I start a SureBackup Job and keep it running every time the scheduled backup job starts it fails with the error "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. Failed to create or open file..."

Is there anyway to keep the SB Job running and continue to have the normal backup job running?

Thank you.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: How to backup with a V-Lab running

Post by PTide »

Hi,
if I start a SureBackup Job and keep it running every time the scheduled backup job starts it fails with the error "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. Failed to create or open file..."
That happens because SureBackup job runs a VM directly from a backup file thus locking it from being accessed by other processes.
Is there anyway to keep the SB Job running and continue to have the normal backup job running?
What backup policy do you use?

Thank you.
kinto
Novice

Post by kinto »

Hello Ptide, I have a simple Incremental backup policy.

I have also scheduled the job from Tuesday to Saturday at 4.00 am.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

May I ask you which version are you running? I suggest you to open a case with support, because Backup jobs should have higher priority and thus are supposed to stop any other job that is locking the backup file for writing. The fact that Surebackup job prevents backup job from running is an unexpected behaviour and log investigation is needed. Please don't forget to post your case ID here.
simple Incremental backup policy.
Do you mean "Forever Incremental"? If so then technically, it's not possible with such policy. You need to schedule periodic fulls so your SureBackup job does not lock the trailing .vbk but uses the most recent full. In that case SureBackup job won't interfere with merging process.

Also may I ask you why do you need your SureBackup to be runnning simultaneously with backup job?

Thank you.
kinto
Novice

Post by kinto »

Current version is 8.0.0.208 and yes actually the configuration is forevere incremental.

To solve this problem colud be a solution to have synthethic full backups from monday to friday and an active full backup at saturday?

I need the V-Lab running also during backup jobs because there is a software house that periodically needs a copy of the VMs at some point in time to test software patches also for a long period of time.

Thank you.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

To solve this problem colud be a solution to have synthethic full backups from monday to friday and an active full backup at saturday?
All you need is just one periodic full, no matter of what type it will be.
I need the V-Lab running also during backup jobs because there is a software house that periodically needs a copy of the VMs at some point in time to test software patches also for a long period of time.
You'll need to restart your VMs once in a while because your vPower NFS will eventually get filled with changes that happen to VMs inside lab. I think it would be better to spin-up the lab on demand (after patches) or to try this approach

Kindly open a case with support and post your ID here - we would like to investigate the issue with job priorities.

Thank you.