Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
HMwkr
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

v9 keeping NAS boxes awake

Post by HMwkr »

We have two NAS boxes hosted by a WAN accelerator, using CIFS.

With v8, these NAS boxes hibernated most of every day, with Veeam happily waking them up when needed.

With v9, the NAS boxes are not hibernating, because Veeam is accessing them both once a minute. (If I stop the Veeam services on the WAN accelerator, the accesses stop, and the NAS boxes hibernate.)

Has anyone else noticed this?

Is it something which can be fixed?

Thanks in anticipation
W
PS I raised a case over a week ago ( # 01685680 ) but unfortunately and unusually, despite several emails, Veeam tech haven't even understood the problem yet.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 728 times

Re: v9 keeping NAS boxes awake

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Please escalate you case to the higher support Tier using "Talk to manager" button. Looking forward to hear good news from you.

Thank you.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I believe the process that wakes them up is checking health state/availability of this device. If it sees that it is not reachable, you will have an immediate alarm notification in Veeam ONE and its state should also change in the backup console. Not sure if this process can be disabled or not.
HMwkr
Enthusiast

Post by HMwkr »

Vitaly:

I hadn't installed Veeam One until I upgraded to v9. Could it be that it's Veeam One which is instigating the health checks? If removing Veeam One solves the problem, that's fine - Veeam One doesn't do much for me (we only have two physical servers, not much changes, no-one other than me can change anything, etc etc).

Regards
W
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

HMwkr wrote:Could it be that it's Veeam One which is instigating the health checks?
Not exactly, Veeam ONE might be using this information in its pre-defined alarms, but it is the backup server that initiates this check. Can you temporary disable integration to see if this fixes the issue or not?
HMwkr wrote:If removing Veeam One solves the problem, that's fine - Veeam One doesn't do much for me (we only have two physical servers, not much changes, no-one other than me can change anything, etc etc).
Don't you use our predefined backup reports (such as Protected VMs report, infrastructure assessment etc.)? ;)
HMwkr
Enthusiast

Post by HMwkr »

Can you temporary disable integration
I removed the two servers from Veeam ONE. (Note: the WAN accelerator RemBak wasn't in Veeam ONE.)

The connections continued, every minute.
Don't you use our predefined backup report
Ignorance is bliss ... OK, OK, I'll give it a go.

Regards
William
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

HMwkr wrote:I removed the two servers from Veeam ONE. (Note: the WAN accelerator RemBak wasn't in Veeam ONE.)

The connections continued, every minute.
Oh ok... then it is not Veeam ONE, but Veeam B&R itself. I would suggest opening a ticket and reference this thread, so that your engineer understands the possible problem or advise on how to make this health check to run less often.