Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rickstromberg
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Rick Stromberg

High read data

Post by rickstromberg »

I've got a job with 5VMs of various Windows OS types. Some Vista, some Server 2008, and one Server 2012 I Think.

One the Server 2008 vm, whenever it processed Hard disk 1 (75GB), it always has a much, much higher amount of data Read than it's E: drive, and also much much higher in comparison to the system disks of any of the other VMs in the job. Usually it's 15+ GB. There's only 35GB in use on the entire drive.

Is there a way to figure out where this data change is coming from? I'm having an issue when the copy job comes around and send data offsite that some days it doesn't finish all the VMs and I'm wondering if it's because this one vm has a high data change rate. It shouldn't. It's a domain controller, and runs dns, and has file shares on another drive.

I just looked at the copy job, and the system drive in question transferred 1.8GB over the network, and obtained 1.6GB from WAN accelerator. All other disks are sub 500MB transferred, and varying amounts of data obtained from the Wan accelerator. Nothing is anywhere close to the 3.4GB for this one system drive.

Thoughts?

RS
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: High read data

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Rick, check for any kind of activity that could change large amount of blocks on that disk: deduplication, defragmentation, database maintenance, etc.