Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
avnish07
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Avnish Choudhary

Design Question for Veeam

Post by avnish07 »

Hello All

Need your help with deployment design in our environment for Veeam Backup with Exagrid. I have not worked with Veeam products before but I took it upon me to design and deploy this solution for our company.

We have 2 sites, Site A and B.
Site A is our primary site where our production load runs and Site B is our DR site where we run our test systems also. On Site B we have tape library also. We are using vSphere5.5 and fibre channel for storage.
So far I have considered to deploy 2 physical servers in each site to work as Back proxy servers and 1VM in each site to work as VeeamBackup server. We also have 1 Exagrid in each site which we will use as backup repository for Veaam.

Site A production (around 400 VMs)
2 physical windows 2012 as Backup Proxy
1 VM windows 2012 as Veeam Backup (Should I separate SQL from this server or install on it?)
1 Exagrid (Backup Repository)

Site B DR and test VMs (around 200 VMs)
2 physical windows 2012 as Backup Proxy
1 VM windows 2012 as Veeam Backup (Should I separate SQL from this server or install on it?)
1 Exagrid (Backup Repository)

We would like to take production backup on Site A and then replicate it to Site B and them move it to tape on Site B. We would like to automate and schedule this task so that back automatically goes to Site B from Site A and then to tape as per schedule.So essentially we would have 1 copy of our production servers on Site A and 1 copy on Site B and 1 copy on tape. We will also be using deduplication and Exagrid will be used to replicate the data.

So what would be the best way and design to approach this. Any input will be very helpful here.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Design Question for Veeam

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Avnish and welcome to the community.
Please read the best practices article which explains our vision of the best backup infrastructure and let us know if you have any questions.
Thanks!
haslund
Veeam Software
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Re: Design Question for Veeam

Post by haslund »

I heavily recommend the official Best Practices book
Even though it is not yet updated for v9, it still contains very valuable information.

It is authored by Veeam Solution Architects.
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com