Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Steen
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Steen

Feature Req: Storage Latency

Post by Steen »

It would be nice to schedule Storage Latency.
Business hours have lower value and out-side business hour a higher value
Regards Steen
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Feature Req: Storage Latency

Post by nielsengelen »

Did you take a look at Backup I/O Control? https://www.veeam.com/blog/introducing- ... on-v8.html

Or is it something specific you are looking for?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Steen
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Steen

Post by Steen »

Problem is that if You set it to fx 20 and40 users can work during backup.
But the backup is throttle at night so backup doesnt get finished during night.
My backups get like this:
Load: Source 94% > Proxy 11% > Network 16% > Target 0%
Regards Steen
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hmm, I really don't think you will get noticeable backup acceleration if you disable BIOC comparing to 20ms. In fact, it can even get slower due to even more random I/O caused by more backup tasks running in parallel. Can you try to manually disable it for one night, and report backup times with and without BIOC enabled? Along with backup sizes for both nights, so that we know we are comparing apples to apples.

But there is a quick fix if you are convinced this will help: you can simply schefule a PowerShell script to disable BIOC every night, and enable it back every morning.
kkuszek
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Kurt Kuszek

[MERGED]Feature request: Storage IO control scheduling by so

Post by kkuszek »

I know I have been just throwing lots of ideas out here lately, sorry for the flood! I wanted to put things I think of to paper for the engineers to see specific field use cases.

Storage IO control has been wonderful since implementation but I think it could be more powerful. Also, I don't think machine datastores are really given enough configuration options.

Let's say Storage IO control is configured to allow faster backups without stunning machines. Unfortunately that means too much load for production hours.
If backups run in the normal backup window, but there were extra changes & they need to run a bit longer the next day this impacts production.
If an out of band backup is required for a specific task, this impacts production.

Why not allow sIO to be scheduled similar to a backup window?
If I could do that it would eliminate the allowable windows for me per job. I don't care if backups are running if my machines remain fast and responsive, but I don't want to set SIO to be lax enough to throttle my nightlies on a regular basis.
Perhaps it makes sense to merge into the regular backup window per job and add a third state: Permitted/Denied/restricted. When a job hits the restricted window it may continue to run but with enhanced throttling if so configured.

Also,
There are per repository maximum load control settings, but why not per source datastore?
I feel datastores would be a good configurable.

I don't group my jobs by datastore, I group by type/similarity for compression/dedupe. Some jobs reside on different datastores. It would be nice to take into account which datastores are allowed to be hit harder than others. Example being that I don't care if many concurrent jobs hit the dev datastore.

These configurables would basically lend flexibility whereas I can configure for best case scenario and push things when I can while not having to consider or be concerned about worst case scenario.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Kurt,
Thanks for the request, it makes sense for me although the request is pretty rare.
Unfortunately for now it`s not possible to apply storage latency scheduling even via powershell, however your request is taken into account.
Thanks!
n1k
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nikolaj Wicker

[MERGED] feature request: allow storage latency control on a

Post by n1k »

to optimize backups in regards of backup-windows and/or throughput, it could be very useful to allow "I/O control/Enable storage latency control" on a per shedule /individual basis.

so backup-jobs could consume full IOPs from primary/secondary storage during sheduled backup-times (backup-windows), while during on business hours "I/O control throttling" allows to guarantee enough performance / latencies to applications.

an plans to implement this?

tia
kind regards
/n1k
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: feature request: allow storage latency control on a per

Post by nielsengelen »

Currently no plans for this however it has been requested before and was noted as a feature request.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
bubbagump
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

[MERGED] Feature request - I/O control windows

Post by bubbagump »

Backup I/O control is awesome. It is saving our bacon when a mid-day backup kicks off. However, Backup I/O control should be able to be scheduled. In our environment, we indeed need to be cognizant of latency during business hours, but over night, we want Veeam to take as many IOPS as it can to keep our windows smaller. The problem is, maybe 20ms over night is perfectly fine, but not mid day. But, we have to set a threshold of say 10 ms to not affect things mid day and then overnight, we are much too slow. Please make this just like the network traffic rules where one can specify time periods to be active/inactive. Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Thank you for the request, it`s taken into account!