Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
davecla
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dave Clarke

Help with Tape - I'm missing something simple

Post by davecla »

I'm sure I'm missing something real simple.....

Backing up stuff everyday to disk with v9 - all is good.

Once a week would like to copy backups to tape (library, 40+ tapes, couple of drives)

I create a tape job and fire it off, but... because there is a reasonable amount of data to move (one filer is 20+TB) the tape job is going to take sometime (probably a couple of days). However once the daily backup jobs fires off the tape job is cancelled.

I'm sure I've missed out on a basic step here, but after a day banging my head, i figured I'd ask

thanks in advance,

dave
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Help with Tape - I'm missing something simple

Post by Gostev »

This happens because the backup mode you are using on your primary backup job needs to update one or more backup files participating in tape out process. You can change primary backup job mode to the one with periodic full backups, then daily backup jobs should not be cancelling tape jobs any longer. Thanks!
Gerwin1
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Gerwin van de Bunt

Post by Gerwin1 »

I have the same problems. Also logged under case nr. 01706702. My primary backup job mode is incremental with an active full backup each sunday but I am getting the same error.
davecla
Enthusiast

Post by davecla »

Unless I've missed something (again), the issue I'll have with doing a periodic full backup is the window - it takes about 36 hours to do a full backup of my primary filer.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

the issue I'll have with doing a periodic full backup is the window
Antoher option will be to schedule you backup to tape job to run incremental backup once a day so it copies a small piece of data every day and schedule a weekly virtual full backup.

Thank you.
davecla
Enthusiast

Post by davecla »

Hi Pavel,

Sorry you might have to step me through this as I can't see how it works / will help.

I thought about doing a weekly copy job to make a duplicate of the backup, but at 28TB for the full backup of my filer I can't really spare the room on the staging disk.

Is there anyway to get the tape job to only take the full backup file and ignore the incrementals?
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte »

davecla wrote:Is there anyway to get the tape job to only take the full backup file and ignore the incrementals?
There's a box to uncheck in the job settings.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

There's a box to uncheck in the job settings.
However if you uncheck that box the Full backup to will be ignored as well. Please contact support team to get a private fix.

Thank you.