Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Skebins
Novice
Liked: never

Restore file from backupset needs a different tape

Post by Skebins »

Hi,

I've run into a strange 'error' after testing the file from tape recovery of a physical server. Our physical Symantec Backup Exec gets backed up to tape every weekday (FULL backup), always taking up 1 tape (around 100gb) and creating a new backupset with the date of that day. I would assume that when I want to restore files from the job that ran yesterday, Veeam needs the tape that has been written yesterday right? Well for some reason Veeam points to a completely different tape of the same job, that is associated with a job that ran months ago.

The job that ran yesterday does contain all that data of the server so a backup has been made but I'm unable to restore files from that tape, Veeam keeps telling me that it needs the wrong tape.

Does anyone has an idea what's going on here? File from tape restores of VM's jobs are working great, just not the FULL backup from the Backup Exec server.

Thanks in advance!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Restore file from backupset needs a different tape

Post by veremin »

Does the issue persist if you select a specific backup set in the restoration wizard? Thanks.
Skebins
Novice
Liked: never

Post by Skebins »

Yes, other mediasets do also require that specific tape even though the tape isn't used during the job in which the mediaset is created.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I was not talking about other mediasets. I meant if while restoring specific file you click on a backup set button, select the latest backup set and proceed with restoration, will you be successful or not? Thanks.