Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
zadrian
Expert
Liked: 4 times

VEB Free - Multiple schedules or backup copy

Post by zadrian »

Hi I was wondering if we can do file level (personal files) backups with different schedules and settings or create schedules for backup copies ?

I realise that I can backup files (personal files) to my local drive OR NAS.
What I am trying to achieve is to backup a to my local drive (would be a SD card or another partition), then make a copy or perform another backup to a NAS.

Else is there a batch or powershell script which I can then use Windows scheduler to carry out the above ?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: VEB Free - Multiple schedules or backup copy

Post by Dima P. »

Hello zadrian,

Such scenario is not supported since VEB can handle only one backup job. May I ask why you are not using the volume level backup (or entire PC backup) – it’s a bit more reliable since it allows you to perform a Bare Metal Recovery?

P.S. If you want to use one scope of the source files, you can trigger the backup job via command line but destination remains the same.
zadrian
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Post by zadrian »

I do not wish to sound very 80s but I have lost confidence in bare-metal recovery especially when recovery to very different hardware.
Most of us may not purchase same hardware (in my case, Dell Laptops) especially for corporate use. Anyway, for office notebook, I would just clone the same notebooks as we purchase in batch and have to re-install Win7 Pro to Win Ent. So If I recover, I would just clone the OS back, rename and recover files.
Furthermore, at home, my Dell workstation has RAID1 and I faced issues "cloning", "ghosting" or even BMR with the "RAID"ed drives.

Then I do have notebooks that are shared among a few users, sadly I used to only want to backup 2 folders (my documents & desktop), but since VEB free have the personal files option, it may seem less complicated. This is mainly due to us using ultrabooks and/or notebooks with SSDs of limited size. And of course, there are users who manage to use up whole HDD creating very large ppt or word files.

So I am trying to make a difference between "DR" and backup for notebooks such that :
- DR or complete HDD failures, we can still recover weekly backups that are stored on SD cards or NAS (location to be decided)
- recovery of files due to accidental deletion or virus attacks, the 3 hourly backup on SD cards or HDD partition "2" (Split a 512 GB HDD to 300GB + 200GB) may suffice.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Sounds reasonable. I understand that previously you had a bad experience with bare metal recovery; however, our logic is as smooth as possible: it does support recovery to dissimilar hardware, you can install custom drivers during recovery or delete some drivers that were collected from other hardware. Why I (as a regular end user) am using volume level backup instead of file level:

- I can recover the entire volume with the existing disk allocation from the backup
- Volume level backup is less recourse consuming comparing to file level backup
- The most important I don’t worry about the actual scope of the files (since everything is backed up). When it comes to recovery I can use all possible options: Bare Metal Restore, Volume Level Recovery and File Level Recovery.