Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mlott@gie.com
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Miles Lott

V9 mystery VNX snapshots?

Post by mlott@gie.com »

Most of our critical VMs are backed by a VNX 5200. All of the vmware hosts are in a storage group to limit their access to LUNs in that group. We have another storage group for one of our file servers.

I recently upgraded Veeam to version 9 and setup a basic connection to the VNX. We do not have Plus so I assumed that this was mainly a view of the LUNs in the vmware group, although it does seem to provide the ability to manually create snapshots of those LUNs.

So, that's all great. However, a couple of days ago we found some odd snapshots in the storage group for our file server. The only reason I am posting here is that the snapshot name was prefixed with Veeam_XXXX.

Does this seem as unlikely to you as it does to me? Yes, Veeam has credentials sufficient to create snaps on any LUN. But, it shouldn't even have a view of those LUNs not in the vmware group. No one here created a snapshot of the file server LUNs.

EDIT: Veeam does see every user LUN no matter which group. I suppose it is POSSIBLE that someone manually did this. But, the snapshot names were otherwise similar to the ones we create four times per day for the file server other than the prefix Veeam_ added to them...
mlott@gie.com
Enthusiast

Re: V9 mystery VNX snapshots?

Post by mlott@gie.com »

Could it be that the Veeam scan for files caused these snapshots to be created? I did find a way to exclude them but I don't see a schedule for it.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Snapshot only jobs are available only for NetApp storage. And without Enterprise Plus edition in place it's not possible to make backup from storage snapshot. Thus, I doubt that these snapshots have something to do with Veeam. Thanks.
mlott@gie.com
Enthusiast

Post by mlott@gie.com »

It is apparently possible to manually create one. I was wondering if it created snapshots to index the available files.
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte » 1 person likes this post

If you were to open a support case and provide the exact snapshot name, the approximate creation time, and a complete log bundle, Support team could search through the logs to determine whether Veeam created the snapshot, and if so, why.