Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mhensley@n2nix.com
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Hensley

Micro Focus Open Enterprise Server With 64 Bit NSS volumes

Post by mhensley@n2nix.com » 1 person likes this post

I would like to make a feature request. Currently Veeam Back & Rep only supports 32 bit NSS Volumes. Open enterprise Server 2015 now has 64 bit NSS that supports up to 8 Exabytes volume storage. It would be nice if Veeam supported the new version of MicroFocus NSS.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Micro Focus Open Enterprise Server With 64 Bit NSS volum

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Michael. The goal of adding NSS support originally was to help customers in education sector who have tons of legacy Novell systems deployed from the times when Novell was big. This is primarily U.S. education sector. However, we were not planning to keep adding support for those newly coming Novell versions based on the current market share considerations of these new versions. This is based purely on business considerations: investing the same R&D resources into enhancing our support of pretty much any other major OS and file system will provide by an order of magnitude better ROI. Of course, this will change if Novell market share starts to grow significantly - we are certainly keep monitoring the market, as well as the feedback from our users. Thanks!
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

Also keep in mind that we do have the ability to backup 64-bit NSS. It's only File Level Restore which doesn't work. You can always do an Instant VM Recovery of an OES 2015 server to grab files from the volume. I've done this in my home lab and it works.

Joe
booktrunk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Stephanie

Post by booktrunk »

Is this still the case.

We are looking at migrating our physical OES Servers to Virtual ones which will be running 64bit larger file systems.

We are looking at either SEP or Veeam for backups. Veeam is cheaper, and I find it really easy to use for our windows servers. But, how would i easily restore an individual file on an OES2015 Server on a large file system?

Would I be able to spin up the server as an isolated server and copy the file off somehow? also what would that do with the permissions etc...
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Post by jmmarton »

It's not a too difficult process, and I've tested this in my home lab with OES 2015 & 64-bit NSS as I mentioned earlier in the thread. You can use Veeam's Instant VM Recovery feature to present the backed up VM to VMware. There's no need to power it on though because you can then take the virtual disk for the NSS volume and just attach it to another running OES 2015 server. In my case I couldn't get OES to mount it without a reboot, but in theory that shouldn't even be required. At that point you can see the entire filesystem and restore what you need.

As far as permissions go, we don't restore permissions for NSS. This is true even for 32-bit NSS volumes where we have full File Level Restore capability (no need to do IVMR like with 64-bit NSS). However, what I've done is created a small script that's run as a "pre-freeze" script during the backup job. This means the script is run immediately prior to us taking the VMware snapshot, and that script dumps the trustee assignments to a file using metamig. You can then use that to restore trustee assignments. And keep in mind in many cases you won't have to do this as more often than not inheritance will take care of things--especially if you're restoring individual files. You only have to worry about this if you're restoring a folder where the permissions were previously assigned to that particular folder.

If you'd like a copy of my sample script, feel free to e-mail me at joe dot marton at veeam dot com.

Joe
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Post by jmmarton » 1 person likes this post

UPDATE. And an exciting one with that: with our upcoming v9.5 release, we have enhanced our NSS support making it possible to do File Level Restore (FLR) with both 64-bit NSS volumes and AD-enabled volumes! So ignore everything I said about using IVMR as a workaround. :-)

Joe
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Post by jmmarton » 1 person likes this post

jmmarton wrote:As far as permissions go, we don't restore permissions for NSS. However, what I've done is created a small script that's run as a "pre-freeze" script during the backup job. This means the script is run immediately prior to us taking the VMware snapshot, and that script dumps the trustee assignments to a file using metamig. You can then use that to restore trustee assignments.

If you'd like a copy of my sample script, feel free to e-mail me at joe dot marton at veeam dot com.
Actually I've uploaded my scripts to the VeeamHub so that anyone can freely download them.

https://github.com/VeeamHub/application ... ter/novell

Joe