Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
wladik
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Vladimír Mach

Deploying Veeam B&R across multiple branches

Post by wladik »

Hi,
I am thinking about this scenario - having installed Veeam Backup & Replication Server in our main data center that will basically be used just for management of the backup jobs in our international branches and in each branch (that is connected via IPSec tunnel with main data center) where we have Hyper-V server installed will be Synology as storage backend for branch Backup Repository and one virtual machine acting as Off-site Backup Proxy.

Basically this schema:

And if I understand correctly B&R in the latest v9 version supports Proxy role (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/hyp ... proxy.html) that will be used for all data traffic between Hyper-V's virtual machines and local Backup Repository and no data will be transfered via slow IPSec tunnels, am I right?

Idea is to have central management of all backups performed in local branches but keep all local traffic in local branch. Or do you recommend to use separate instance of B&R in each branch?

Thanks for advices,
Vladimir
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Deploying Veeam B&R across multiple branches

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Vladimir and welcome to the community!
wladik wrote:And if I understand correctly B&R in the latest v9 version supports Proxy role (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/hyp ... proxy.html) that will be used for all data traffic between Hyper-V's virtual machines and local Backup Repository and no data will be transfered via slow IPSec tunnels, am I right?
That`s correct.
wladik wrote:Idea is to have central management of all backups performed in local branches but keep all local traffic in local branch. Or do you recommend to use separate instance of B&R in each branch?
It`s up to you, you can have several VBR servers and use Enterprise Manager or have a single VBR server and deploy Backup & Replication Consoles for local restores.
I personally would go for the second option.
Thanks!
wladik
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Vladimír Mach

Post by wladik »

Hi,
thanks for advice.

I also like more the second option - having a single VBR server. From what I understand this option is also better in the way that I can have one license for everything and assign CPU sockets to all Hyper-V hosts dynamically across branches as needed, right? Or Enterprise Manager also can be used to allocate one license to multiple VBR servers?

Also, just to be sure, can Backup & Replication Console be installed on same machine as Off-Host Backup Proxy?

Vl.
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

Your license pretty much works the same, regardless of if you use Enterprise Manager to push the license down to the B&R servers, or if you install it on the B&R server(s) directly.

And all the various Veeam services can be installed on the same server.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Steve is correct. The product is licensed by a number of hypervisor`s sockets. So both options will require same license.
And yes, you can use remote consoles as proxy.
Thanks!