Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Play nice with LTFS?

Post by pkelly_sts »

I'm considering deploying LTFS on one of our sites using a spare/dedicated library but, ideally, on the same backup server.

I know Veeam has issues with BExec on the same server but does/can it play nicely with LTFS on the same server? Does anyone here use LTFS alongside Veeam or am I going to have to consider having a dedicated server for it?

[Edit: This would be using either an HP MSL 2024 or MSL 4048]
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Play nice with LTFS?

Post by Dima P. »

Paul,

Correct me if I wrong, I was under impression that LTFS built in requires additional (or different) drivers for you library.
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

That's actually a very good point, so that would imply that it should have no issues running alongside Veeam, when using a dedicated library?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

I am not sure that LTFS driver will be recognized by our tape proxy component, will check with QA and try to test it. Follow up shortly.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

On the other hand, I always thought LTFS can simply be mounted as a regular disk? Which is its biggest benefit over LTO anyway. So, you won't even need all this LTO tape support complexity.
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Indeed, it's just that experience shows that different backup software on the same server tends to cause conflicts but it's likely that, as you say, this will be seen as a disk rather than tape library so no such conflict. I more just querying whether it had been tested by anyone already.