Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
aresgodofwar30
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Robert

Feature Request post backup

Post by aresgodofwar30 » 1 person likes this post

Can we have an option that remembers the state of the computer pre-backup and returns it to that state? When my computer is backed up, it may be asleep or it may be busy doing something. I'd like to avoid it running unnecessarily or going to sleep while it is busy doing something.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request post backup

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Robert,

Backup process is running with a background priority, so you should not be worried about resource consumption unless the throttling option is enabled. (Control Panel > Settings, enabled by default). As for sleep mode – Veeam Endpoint Backup can wake your computer up according to the specified schedule and then put it back to sleep mode.

Kindly, check this article for more information about job schedule and post job activities.
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 133 times
Full Name: Marc K

Post by mkaec » 1 person likes this post

I think the request might be to have an additional finalizing action option "Return to Prior State". With this option, if VEB woke the computer to run the backup, it would return the computer to sleep. If the computer was already on, it would stay on. This is an option I'd like to see be made available.
mensa
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by mensa »

Hello,

that „Return to Prior State“ would be an amazing feature and not really hard to code (I think).

I think more people have a scenario like us:
Laptop which is configured to never sleep automatically.
Laptop‘s lid is closed manually at night -> laptop is in sleep mode at night.
Veeam Backup is scheduled for 4am which wakes up the laptop for backup and brings it back to sleep automatically after backup.
That is already fine. But the hard „put to sleep after backup“ option is not perfect, cause maybe the laptop was already in use before the backup or maybe already someone started working on the laptop during the backup process.

So the first step would be an option „Return to Prior State“.
The perfect solution would be to only „Return to Prior State“ if no user interaction happened during the backup.

Maybe that‘s possible to include in a small update? I don‘t know how open Veeam is for such improvements proposals, but it would really help a lot!
philAtkin
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Phil Atkin

Post by philAtkin »

I support the 'return to prior state' feature request, although it might be called 'Once backup is taken, computer should ... ' "Sleep if Veeam woke it up".
[I set the backup to run during the day because I find that it fails if I try to get Veeam to wake the PC - it finds that the network drive I back up to is not available (presumably because the drives take too long to connect). I'll raise a separate issue for this]