Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
pslijkerman
Influencer
Liked: never

Install Nworks Collector on Windows 2008 R2 DC

Post by pslijkerman »

Hi,

I'm curentlly writing a project plan for a migration of SCOM 2007 to SCOM 2007 R2. We need to reinstall the Nworks collector to a different server.
I looks like that server will be a Windows 2008 R2 domain controller. Are there any known issue's, limitations or unsupported configuration known to this configuration?

Please let me know if a need a additional server to host the nworks collector or that it can be installed on a Domain Controller to.

Best Regards
Pascal Slijkerman
Irina Simkina
Enthusiast
Full Name: Irina Simkina

Re: Install Nworks Collector on Windows 2008 R2 DC

Post by Irina Simkina »

Hello Pascal,

nworks collector could be installed on a Domain Controller without any known issues, although such configuration is not recommended.
The EMS (enterprise management service) cannot be installed on a DC.

With best regards,
Irina
pslijkerman
Influencer

Post by pslijkerman »

Hi Irina,

I am not sure what the EMS services is, could you clearify..?

Ok, it's not recommend, could you tell me why because i need to give arguments why i need another server :-)

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

p.s. what a quick reply was that! Nice!
Irina Simkina
Enthusiast
Full Name: Irina Simkina

Post by Irina Simkina »

you are welcome :)

The installation on the DC is "not recommended" due to high load caused by the collector. I cannot say that there are any issues or limitations but the collector uses resources to gather data from the VC, to publish it into WMI. SCOM agent itself also uses resources to process rules and monitors.
So we do not recommend to install collectors on any servers with specific and importent roles.

Enterprise Management service (EMS) - is the former Management Center (was renamed since the 5.5 version). This is the service which manages all collectors and monitoring jobs, performs load balancing and the HA. It is also the license server.

Any other questions please let me know,
Irina
pslijkerman
Influencer

Post by pslijkerman »

Ok,

I planned to install all components from Nworks on that server so i assume that does include the EMS...
Oke, i have to ask for another virtual server because i don't want it to be installed on my SCOM RMS server and also not on my SQL server.

Thanks for the reply!
pslijkerman
Influencer

Post by pslijkerman »

It seems that a have to install de Nworks software on my SCOM server. Is that possible. Maby not recommended but is it possible?

Please let me know.

Best Regards,
Pascal Slijkerman
Alexey.Strygin
Veeam Software
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Alexey Strygin

Post by Alexey.Strygin »

Hello Pascal,

Yes, it is possible, you can install all nworks components on your RMS server and it will work.
If you need any further assistance on nworks deployment planning, please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Alexey Strygin