Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
jplopper
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Josiah Plopper

Feature Request - Write tapes by Slot

Post by jplopper »

As I'm rotating through tapes in my Veeam library, I'm noticing that tapes with higher serial numbers are never being written to. It appears that Veeam is always choosing the lower serial number for the tape to write to. Since I typically leave a few extra tapes in the pool (just in case I have a bad tape or something), the tapes with the higher serial numbers just sit in the library week after week. It would be great if there was a setting (even a registry setting) that would allow Veeam to choose tapes by slot number. This way, it would disregard what the tapes serial number was and just choose the lowest slot number first. Boom. Done.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Feature Request - Write tapes by Slot

Post by veremin »

Since I typically leave a few extra tapes in the pool (just in case I have a bad tape or something), the tapes with the higher serial numbers just sit in the library week after week
If I'm not mistaken, it happens due to the fact that backup server gives preference to the expired tapes rather than to free ones. Thus, the said situation.

If you want to leverage all existing cassettes, you might want to increase retention period.

As to slot management, currently we don't have this functionality. However, thank you for the heads up; appreciated.