Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
majones
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Martin Jones

For VEB Moved Backup - Next Backup is Full Not Incremental

Post by majones » 1 person likes this post

Hi. For one of my laptops, I've created a local backup chain on a USB drive, copied the folder and contents to my NAS, and then specified this location as the target for further backups. VEB finds the NAS location OK but creates a full backup as the next in the chain, whereas it should be an incremental backup. If I check the backup behaviour with the USB plugged in to the laptop, it does indeed create an incremental backup. Any idea why the discrepancy? My desire is for the backups on the NAS to run as incrementals to avoid huge amounts of data transfer over my broadband links.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: For VEB Moved Backup - Next Backup is Full Not Increment

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Martin,

Have you copied the backup files to the very same location (i.e. to the folder with the machine name)? Are you using the latest VEB 1.5? Thanks.
majones
Enthusiast

Post by majones »

I am using VEB 1.5. I'm trying to get to the bottom of it, and have confirmed that locating the USB drive as a direct connection to the laptop and then relocating it physically to one of my network PCs and designating it as a share works fine. I'm now trying to be more methodical in investigating what happens after I copy the backup onto my server (it's running Windows Home Server 2011 if that is relevant). I'll let you know how it goes!
aaron@ARB
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: ARBCorporationPtyLtd

Post by aaron@ARB »

Check the logs too.. I see in my VEB logs that it will say things like "Job session is in full mode" or words to that effect, if its saying that ,you may as well stop the backup as you know what its going to do. I have backups that work (they were not seeds) and they now say "job sessions is in incremental mode" or similar.
majones
Enthusiast

Post by majones » 1 person likes this post

Panic over - it worked as it should! The backup copied from the USB drive to my server did backup incrementally on the server. I don't really know why I had the original problem manifesting as the first new backup of the USB folder on the server being full not incremental, or the creation of a new backup folder called "machinename_1" (where the original folder was "machiname"). Presumably I somehow corrupted the backup as I copied it to the server so VEB didn't recognise it properly. Anyway, thanks for your help.